The Power and Pitfalls of Omics: George Davey Smith’s storming talk at ME/CFS conference
Read about the talk that stole the show at a recent ME/CFS conference in Simon McGrath's two-part blog.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Help downloading MTHFRsupport.com Files

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by minkeygirl, Oct 5, 2013.

1. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    I just downloaded my files from 23andMe but it came out as a text file, although the information on the MTHFRsupport.com site says it will come in a zip file.

To possibly further complicate things I have a Macbook and no mouse so even with the instructions on compressing file I don't know how to right click.

Here is a sample of a few lines that got downloaded. There is a long list of these.

# rsidchromosomepositiongenotype
    rs4477212182154AA
    rs30943151752566AG
    rs31319721752721AG
    rs121248191776546AA

Can anyone help me with this? Can I use this data as it is? I'm not very computer savvy so please dumb things down.

Thanks.

2. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
  3. minkeygirl

Left Coast
    I downloaded it per the instructions given on MTHFRsupport.com. It downloaded as a text file. I have no idea how big it is. UPDATE: I just saved it as an adobe file and it's about 8000 pages give or take a few. So this is not usable as it is.

This is what it says on top. I'm thinking this is the information. But I don't know if

This data file generated by 23andMe at: Sat Oct 5 13:59:00 2013
    #
    # Below is a text version of your data. Fields are TAB-separated
    # Each line corresponds to a single SNP. For each SNP, we provide its identifier
    # (an rsid or an internal id), its location on the reference human genome, and the
    # genotype call oriented with respect to the plus strand on the human reference sequence.
    # We are using reference human assembly build 37 (also known as Annotation Release 104).
    # Note that it is possible that data downloaded at different times may be different due to ongoing
    # improvements in our ability to call genotypes. More information about these changes can be found at:
    # https://www.23andme.com/you/download/revisions/
    #

4. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    I wonder if your computer automatically opened the zip? Maybe try a zip from somewhere else to test.

5. minkeygirl

Left Coast
    Don't know anything about zip files. I'm going to see if I get something different if I start from Firefox instead of Safari.

Ok, it downloaded it into a zip file but I can't find it to do anything with it.

Ok, I have the zipfile on my desktop and I have the instructions to compress it. The problem is it tells me to right click and I don't have a mouse so I don't know what to do to get the "COMPRESS option to be available.

Anyone with a Mac please help.

6. minkeygirl

Left Coast
    Ok. This is a screen shot of what is going on. When I "right click" on the zip file, I do not have the COMPRESS option seen here

I do have the compress option in the pull down but it is greyed out and not available.
    Screen Shot 2013-10-05 at 4.22.20 PM.png

7. bel canto

bel canto Senior Member

I'm not sure if I understand what you're trying to do, but my mac automatically unzips a file like that. It gets stored as a document. If you want to upload it somewhere, such as Prometheus, it will go just as it is.

Do you need a zipped version for something? If so, trying checking mac "help" for "zip document" or "zip file" and see if it gives you what you need.

8. minkeygirl

Left Coast
    According to the MTHFRsupport.com site, in order for them to use the raw data from 23andMe, the file has to be compressed.

http://www.mthfrsupport.com/wp-cont...-to-upload-genome-and-solve-paypal-issues.pdf

When I follow the instructions to compress the file, I am not getting that option. When I double click on the file COMPRESS is not there like in the screen shot and it is grayed out in the pulldown menu.

I never use zip files, I don't know what they are or how the work. I also don't know what prometheus is.

I need someone who knows what MTHFR is looking for to help me with this. Just tossing out information on zip files confuses me.

Thanks though.

Mink

9. minkeygirl

Left Coast
    I heard from customer support from the site and they don't know how to work with this file. They will update me.

See more popular forum discussions.