• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heavy metal test kit

stridor

IMHO this is not a reasonable way to assess Heavy Metal Toxicity.
Of the 2 accepted ways, the hair test is preferred. On the plus side it is safe and on the (-) it needs to be interpreted by someone who knows what to look for. People on yahoo's FDC site are good at this. No test can measure metal in the brain.
A challenge test - where DMPS is given and then metal measured in urine. (+) it provides and easy to interpret measurement of metal in the body (not brain). (-) it moves metal around and depending on how sick a person is, this can lead to trouble. (I lost the ability to speak for a minute and thought that I was having a stroke).
You are on the right track. I suggest that you hook-up with those following Cutler's Protocol on FDC and get this right. I messed up amalgam removal and it messed me up for 2 years - my thyroid and adrenals will not likely recover. Please address your toxicity issues but do so with care. It can be done safely. brad

maryb

iherb code TAK122
stridor
I am having amalgams removed in a couple of weeks (properly).
Can you give me some points about what you learnt from your experience?
thanks

stridor

If I had to do it again:
When the dentist took no precautions for himself or his assistant, I should have ran from the office screaming...

I would still take charcoal capsules before and after the sitting. Before I even left the office, I would also open a capsule in my mouth (I know it's gross) and swish it around. I'd repeat this several times. Alternatively, ask to use their washroom and swish water the best you can with freezing in. Other than this don't dilly-dally in the dentist office. He'll have some form of ventilation but just keep in mind that the vapour has 80% absorption rate.

Load up on vitamin C for a week before. None the morning of appt because it can interfere with freezing. If I had to do it again, I'd have made an appt with a nautropath for 2 hours after (when the freezing is coming out) and have 10 gms Vit C IV. Otherwise, take 5 or 6 grams a day (or to bowel tolerance) for a few days then down to 4. (Great apes take in about 6 gms a day and it may be what we are supposed to have anyway).

Magnesium - say 700 mg or to bowel tolerance (people with CFS do well with topical oils in which case we just go by symptoms. Malaise and drop in BP are 2 of the symptoms of high levels to be wary of) Vit E 400 - 1000 IU to compliment Vit C. Selenium 200 mcg/day (it binds free floating Hg to keep it out of mischief). Your B vitamins. Zinc 50 mg or so. Consider omega 3 and choline to help with cell repair.

It is going to come down to your genetics. Are you a Hg hoarder? I was, and I got laid-out. I'll cross my fingers for you.

stridor

My problems arose where drill speed/amount of coolant and technique to avoid vapourizing Hg, intersected with "Full Bucket Syndrome". This is where the body and brain can not cope with any more Hg and even insignificant amounts (to some) can lead to disaster.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
stridor

The dentist has an alternative air supply and uses rubber dams. I don't know what Hg hoarder means.
I had some amalgams out a couple of years ago and was laid up for six months - terrible mercury problems.
I've ordered some zeolite and some modified citrus pectin - will be better prepared this time. Thanks for the info.

stridor

Like the autism community we (ME/CFS) don't tend to excrete Hg well - we hoard it. First haircuts of kids with autism show little mercury. This does not mean that they are low it means that they are not excreting it. It is also why hair tests can not always be taken at face value.
I had external air and a rubber dam as well. Let your dentist know what happened and see if he can use more coolant and alter his drilling technique. I think that zeolite is fine. Never went that way because I read that mercury from fillings that makes its way into the gut is not particularly well absorbed. Whereas the particles that remain in the mouth can vapourize and this form of mercury is very well absorbed.
Sorry to hear about the 6 months....I can certainly identify with that. You seem well informed - still, going to leave my 2 favourite videos.
brad