• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heavy Brain fog and energy fluctuation - history of depression and anxiety

Santino

I think I have the reaction to Selen....;-( Why do I think that?

Because yesterday after eating the parsnips I just had little reaction. I began Selenium on friday afternoon. I took it yesterday 3x, last time in the evening. Today I wake up with the allergy symptoms. First thing I do is take Selenium. At 10.am I drin coffee and notice I flare up of symptoms (I never do that from coffee). Then at midday I take the next dose selenium. (every dose is 50 mikrogram). And then I get the feeling of heat at face and head and begin to sweat at these places. If it were the parsnips, I should have noticed that (sweating) in the morning also...I am quite sure about that...

It is a supplement which contains sodium-selenit-pentahydrate in injectable water and hydrochloric acid. I think nobody can get an allergic reaction to hydrchloric acid and injectable water. And I think my reaction to sodium-selenit is also not allergic. It must be the same problem that i have with vitamin C and A.

Very frustrating to know to have selenium deficiency and not to be able to take any selenium.

My reaction to C and Selenium lets me think, that I have some kind of poisoning in my body. May it be heavy metal toxicity or something like that. When I take selen or Vitamin C etc., my body begins to get rid of this and I cannot tolerate that.

But that are just thoughts and I often had these thoughts. It is all non sense....

If it was something like MCS, because the selenit is synthetic, I could try brazil nuts, but I have the same reaction to natural vitamin C, so I do not think it is MCS....

As I said, it is all non sense...What the hell is going on in my body? The person who will find that out and helps me healing will get life time support from my side...

Santino

I decided to do FMT.

This could be something what can make a huge difference on the long in helping me with all things I struggle with.
I will give that a try as soon as I can get a place in a good clinic...

Gondwanaland

Have you ever tried magnesium? It helps the liver to deal with with the digestion, supplementation, metabolites.
Liver and gut should be your focus. Good luck with the FMT!

Gondwanaland

Citrate, right? Mg citrate never helped me.

So now you please tell me how can someone be deficient in Selenium and not be hypothyroid?

BTW, Selenomethionine gives me brain fog, I must take selenium chelate.

And I would try LDN before FMT. If LDN doesn't seem to help, you just stop taking it, I guess

Santino

Gond: You do not have to be hypothyroid when having low selenium...I know that selenium is very important for thyroid health and conversion but there is no evidence that people who are deficient in selenium are always hypothyroid. Again that is something I again please you to be careful with such statements. Maybe this is right for people with hashi (i don´t know)...

I have either hyperthyroid or normal but sure not hypo. I have to eat like a bear to not loose weight. I feel overstimulated mostly at this moment...So that is really not hypothyroid....;-)

Magnesiumcitrate does help me a lot. That´s the reason I take it almost 1 year now every evening.

I think the opposite is better: first try FMT because the FMT will affect the immune system as well. Nobody knows if the effects of FMT will be as great when I take a immune system influencing drug which is not very common at this moment in most patients going to the clinics.

Why do you think trying LDN first would be better?

I have to try brazil nuts but I still struggle with this allergic like reaction and hope it will fade away tomorrow so that I can test out other foods...

Gondwanaland

I feel overstimulated mostly at this moment
Does the selenium supplementation makes it worse?
I have to eat like a bear to not loose weight.
Me too. I'm losing lean mass by the minute.
Magnesiumcitrate does help me a lot. That´s the reason I take it almost 1 year now every evening.
Are you taking it to bowel tolerance? I did, and at some point I needed to increase my potassium and calcium circulating levels.
Why do you think trying LDN first would be better?
Because if it is not helpful you can just stop taking it, I suppose.
I have to try brazil nuts but I still struggle with this allergic like reaction
Brazil nuts can be a challange if one is salicylate intolerant, or hyperthyroid.

Santino

Selenium just triggered the allergy symptoms...

I have to try brazil nuts. If they don´t trigger the allergy symptoms, it will be all fine. I don´t care about sal or histamine reaction as I I just have to take 1-2 nuts everyday. I could also eat a nut of chocolate or old meat full of histamine without problems. But if i get this allergic reaction, then even 1/4 nut would make me feel like crap...

Today the allergy symptoms are still there. I must be eating something else which triggers.

The only supplement which is possible to do that are the probiotics (there is Amylase in it which is a enzym I could react to as it is not my own) If it is not that, then, there is only beta carotine/vitamin A intolerance leftover as a hypothesis.

Although I don´t eat much, I get small amounts of it through chicken and olive oil...

I could stop with LDN also when I first tried FMT. So that´s not really a reason to try it BEFORE FMT.

I also don´t know if I could stop it. I read from many that they had progressing their conditions after stopping it, while they did not progress before they started. Difficult to say if this is just by accident or causative...

Santino

I will have FMT in a professional clinic in May 2015. I will get 10 Transplantation over 14 days. I hope to get my gut problems fixed or better. The outcomes in this clinic with my symptoms regarding my gut (fodmap intolerance, brain fog, constipation/diarrhea, proctitis) are very good. And if my gut inflammation would be better this should with all on the long term...

Of course this will not fix the other problems, but maybe it will fix some of my problems. I have to try all I can. I will take a credit at my bank.

Last weekend (having diarrhea with much blood in stool) was enough for me...

Santino

also ordered 90x 4.5mg Naltrexone tablets (ingredients: Naltrexone, dextrose).

I have the allergy symptoms today heavy. It really seems that it is due to the vitamins in my food which trigger some kind of immune processes.

I can´t say for sure when I begin taking LDN. I have some consultations with doctors. If they cannot help me or want to prescribe immunesuppressants, maybe I will start LDN on my own.

I hope that, in this case, I will be able to tolerate it without making the allergy symptoms worse...

I feel as if I get poisoned by my own food. It also feels like there would be maybe die off in my body of maybe bacteria which release toxins. But I do not know and nobody can tell me...

But this would explain why I react to Vitamin C, Glutamine, NAC, Vitamin A, Kava Kava, St. Johnsons Worth, Quercetine, curcumin

But it would not explain why I react to creatine and Avicel or any filler in medications ( I cannot say for sure which one)

As I said: There is the risk that I will react to naltrexone with the same reaction which I described so often. In this case I would have a big problem because my only current hope for fighting my immune over reactions...

In the best case, LDN would regulate my over reaction and I could tolerate many healing supplements again...But I can´t be so optimistic because I have so bad experience with medication/supplements...

Santino

yes, I know that. But the price was best with ordering 4.5 tablets. I can split them up.

But maybe I will just start with 1-4mg. Because I don´t see any benefit from starting low. Maybe that could even be bad for me:

If my reaction to supplements is due to my overactive immune system, then it could be fatal to start extreme low dose. Because Naltrexone cannot work immunesystem modulating when getting 0.25mg into my system. But 0.25 could be "detected" by my body and if he begins to react to it, maybe I will have to stop.

But if I begin with 3mg, the LDN works. I could experience more byeffects, but I read many posts where people experienced always side effects when upping the dose. So I think: Why not go trough side effects one time instead of 20 times?

That are my thoughts. But I will read more about that later...

Santino

Also I have to be careful because of my rapid cycling bipolar disorder, because the enorphins could work antidepressive. Although this would have been nice during the summer (when I was depressive) since I did the ketogenic diet, I am not depressive but more a bit of little hypomanic, which is good...

But getting endorphinkick could kick me into manic episode, which would be extremely bad...

Gondwanaland

I am not up to date with the LDN community, but if I remeber right, there are people who need to pair LDN with antibiotics or antivirals to be able to fight the break out of resident infections.

Also, some people get worse with LDN.

LDN is a racemic mix where one chiral molecule acts like a SSRI and the other molecule acts as anti-inflammatory, which can cause nightmares and insomnia. Some people choose to take it in the morning instead of at bed time.

I think there is a Facebook group for LDN as well.

Santino

ok thanks for the information. Of course I do not like to hear that people could get worse.

Also that you could have breaking out infections is new for me. In this case it would be better to take before FMT because taking antibiotics would make everything bad again in my gut...

Santino

I did some further research about LDN. I am thinking about starting as soon as the N arrives me (I am not sure yet).

Because what I read was, that the side effects occure in very few cases (less than 10%). Most people don´t have side effects.

So I think about trying 4.5mg right away. If I get byeffects which last longer than one week, I would step back to 3mg...

I don´t know whats right or wrong. Some people go step by step. But for me it´s not really why they are doing this. I don´t see so much benefit in starting low....

What do you think?

On the one hand, I am right now busy with study and should I wait until I have not as much to do.

On the other hand I now definitively found out, that any amount of vitamin C and A, beta carotine leads to a flare up of my allergy symptoms. Either my immune system is attacking itself then or it gets strong and attacks some infection in my body (which must be there long time now then...). Nobody knows. Maybe both is wrong.

Also nobody knows how LDN exactly works. If it makes the immune system stronger or not...There is just a theory.

hmmm

Gondwanaland

Does he talk about how to take LDN? I will watch it in the evening, thanks!
I am not sure if he talks about how to take it in this video. I watched it more than a year ago, and also watched several others at the time.

Here is a compilation of LDN videos at the LowDoseNaltrexone channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3L3tjmEcCRLoiGPYDTh7Zw

From the top of my head I remeber the protocol being like this:
  • start at 1.5mg
  • increase 0.5mg every 3 or 4 weeks
  • maximum dosage is 4.5mg
Some people need to start lower. Never heard of starting higher, but I think it's possible to increase faster according to your needs.