• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heavy Brain fog and energy fluctuation - history of depression and anxiety

Gondwanaland

Egg whites can bind biotin, potentially triggering a deficiency.
This is not supposed to happen if they are cooked.
I ate the same eggs 1,5 weeks ago, 3 within one day without these symptoms...
The symptoms build up because you can't rotate foods right now.
Seems impossible for me...Maybe I am more sensitive to histamine again because of the methylfolate and methylcobalamin which I took once?
No. It's because you need gut and liver support. Why don't you try a coffee enema with the coffee you mentioned before? Put just a teaspoon in clean water for your first enema and increase the amount slowly. If you improve you will be able to eat more variety.

Gondwanaland

BTW I also get an inflammatory response from egg whites as per the Autoimmune Protocol (The Paleo Mom diet).

Santino, you will have to sort out from many issues, and I think more than one are activated for you right now

-histamine/serotonin
-ammonia, sulfur, homocysteine
-thyroid (can you calculate your T3 ratio from your latest results? http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/rt3-ratio/ (another member found that thyroid replacement helps with schizophrenia symptoms)
-gut flora (SIBO, candida)
-liver
-viral, fungal or bacterial infections
-general inflammation from a combination of the issues above

I think right now the options are coffee enemas and LDN. Perhaps coffee enemas help while you wait for your FMT.

Gondwanaland

Cooking only reduces the problem, it doesn't eliminate the binding from happening.
I have looked for this information and never found it. Can you please link it for me?

I have always read that cooking would completely inactivate avidin, but this didn't match with my personal observation, since I always got symptoms of biotin deficiency from eating scrabmbled eggs.

Valentijn

I have looked for this information and never found it. Can you please link it for me?

I have always read that cooking would completely inactivate avidin, but this didn't match with my personal observation, since I always got symptoms of biotin deficiency from eating scrabmbled eggs.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1991.tb05361.x/abstract

Paper Abstract said:
Mean residual avidin activity in fried, poached and boiled (2 min) egg white was 33, 71 and 40% of the activity in raw egg white.

Santino

I can´t check the ratio as I always just was tested for T3, T4 and TSH. RT3 was never measured.

Liver is unlikely. Because the reaction (flu like) can also come from tiny amounts like 50mg L-Glutamine. Even if I had 90% of my liver disturbed, it should not be a problem. Also think about the substances which cause the problems. They are not toxic or stressing for the liver, at least the most are not. So I do not think it´s a problem with my liver.

I think that it is a problem of my immune system which could be related to many things: Methylation, hormonal imbalances, leaky gut etc.

I can try the coffee enemas for my gut issues. But I am bit afraid about trying them because I react to coffee as you know since this "crash" at the end of my ketogenic diet. I know from experience that also subcutaneous injection of the triggering substances leads to this "allergic" reaction. So when I put coffee into my system, it will get in contact with my cells and this already can lead to the reaction.

This reaction has nothing to do with toxic overload (maybe secondary to that but not primary). It is a reaction of my immune system to many many substances.

I don´t think that the FMT can help me anymore. Because you need to take stool softerners and gut cleansing products which I can´t. You need to eat probiotics and prebiotics after and during treatment which I can´t. You need to eat a healthy diet with many fiber (veggies and fruit) to establish the microbiome which I can´t.

So at this moment I am quite hopeless.

I am sitting here, eating rice and chicken, still having this reaction going on (but at least it is weaker so that I can sleep and don´t have pain). And I have no idea what to do about it.

I react to everything. Yesterday I had an exam and to be able to focus I drank some high quality green tea from Japan. (I drank this one very often before I switched to coffee. It leads to the same reaction Vitamine C and beta carotene does.

What is a bit crazy and maybe very important in finding the cause is, that I very often (not always) notice that the symptoms fade away for a short period of time completely until they come back although I did not eat anything.

So when the "reaction" is running once it has it´s maximums and minimums and these are time dependent. I often notice (not always) that during the night the symptoms are completely gone when I wake up to early at 4/5 am. When I sleep again and wake up at 8 am, they are full blown there.

That´s the reason I thought about it may relate to hormonal fluctuation like cortisol, t3 or whatever.

But it is not always they case. Especially when the reaction is heavy it´s there constant and also: it is just there if I eat. When I stop eating (and before the last weeks if I avided the trigger, which I always knew) the reaction fades away completely within 72 hours...

I wait to get into a clinic right now. I can´t go further anymore alone. I am anxious about my life. Not that I die from this reaction but that I die because I do not want to live this way anymore. I am 27 year young man. This would be my best time, where I could be most productive and building up my life. I don´t think about that often. But when I get depressive because of histamine or if I get anxious because of gut inflammation or whatever, I think about setting all to an end because I do not want to suffer that ways, feeling like I can´t to anything about it.

Look wat I tried in all these years. It is not, that I did not try hard enough. This methylation stuff is not helping me because it works with taking supplements...I don´t tolerate anything right now. I can´t take any supplements. Although I did not try all supplements on the world I react to all supplements I tried in the last months. I even react to fish oil and krill oi which I could take months.

Because I have to use betacarotine a vitamin a free oils, I take too much plant based oils and omega 6. This is leading me to even worse situations long term. But what should I do? I don´t know anything I could do.

That´s the reason why I will go to a clinic as soon as possible. I think my situation is so critical, that I cannot work with functional medicine approach anymore. This would have been possible long time and I tried everything I knew. If I had all the information 4 ears ago I think it never would have ended like this. At this time I could take nearly all supplements. I had then worked with methylation, prebiotics, Paleo diet, maybe LDN when the AI diseases had set on.

You are right with saying that LDN is an option, maybe something like a last option from my perspective. But I think it is too risky to try it on my own without supervision of any MD. Also: If I react to it, I will have to stop immediately. And my experience is: Once having my immune system reacted to a substance in all these years, it never loosed the reaction that stuff. Once detected, always reacting. This was 100% the case in all these years...

Also: Think about the fact that had my first reaction of this type in my young childhood. So it is unlikely that is something which I just earned during life. It seems to be something which I always had in me. So I speak about either genetic reasons AND microbiome, which I have from my mother.

My mother seems to have similar reactions but the heavyness is 5% compared to my reactions. She has just little sweating on head and face sometimes for 1-2 hours. She also had very weak Alopecia areata and she talks about having the same sleeping issues I have when the reaction is there...

But she is 50 years old and I am 27. And i reacted much more heavy early in my life... And the older I get the more substances where triggering the reaction, 90% of them supplements and the rest high vitamin C foods. Now it is als vitamin A/beta carotene...

So I think, that this is an overreaction of my immune system which needs to be shut down, maybe quite aggressive. And maybe if it is shut down, I could work on the methylation cycle?!

EDIT: As I already said: NO CANDIDA, NO SIBO.

Both tested. Candida was tested trhough many stool analyses (8 now, all negtive for candida) and also biopsies were negative for both: candida and H pylori.

I now had to give really broad stool analyses for Taymount. I will get the results within 1-3 weeks. There also everything will be tested gain.

Last edited:

Santino

Today I again have depression symptoms + brain fog + a feeling as if my sinuses get "tight". It´s the same reaction I thought to have from the magnesium peroxide. But this time I really just ate rice and chicken (I always fry the chicken in canola oil. Ealier I used olive oil. With the mag perox this all was much more severe but I really suffer from this state. I can´t go for long time in these states...What the hell is this?

I feel so strange. What should I do?! I really don´t know what to do.

Santino

Thought about doing coffee enemy tomorrow because i have to do something against the depression and the constipation. But then I found this:
http://www.nature.com/ajg/journal/v105/n1/full/ajg2009505a.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19077527
http://www.curezone.org/forums/am.asp?i=2177656

Especially the last one and the first (the case report) are concerning. Inducing colitis could be very dangerous in my situation...on every side also is the caution: do not use if you have IBD and...

I have IBD.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

I don't know. I never did a coffee enema. The only thing I can think about is LDN, but I have never taken it either, so again, I don't know. I wish I could suggest something useful.

Santino

I know it sounds a bit awful, but I read about doing enemas with own urine...This would be antiinflammatory? Maybe I should try that?

Today again, I am depressive. Hopeless. I hope that I can go to a clinic soon...

EDIT:
I just thought about that it may also be way to dangerous, because there are bacteria in the urine sometimes. And maybe in my case the risk is higher because I have blood in my urine...

What are the safest enemas to use to relieve constipation? I once did a water enema, but this felt not good because it did not came all out again. So some water was retained and I felt unwell after the enema. After that I avoided it. But I think it could be something useful if done correctly, because I am constipated most of the time. Maybe this leads somewhat to my depression symptoms...Don´t know.

I just ate 5-6 potatoes. I know that this will trigger my allergysymptoms because of the vitamin C, but the allergysymptoms which are provoked by vitamin C and A are often somewhat antidepressive, although they make me feel sick...

This sounds crazy but it is what it is...I know that the medical doctors never would believe when I say that...

Last edited:

Wayne

Thought about doing coffee enemy tomorrow because i have to do something against the depression and the constipation. But then I found this:

Hi Santino,

I clicked on the links you provided, and will try to get back to you this weekend. In the mean time, you may want to check out this blog by @ahmo. It's quite long and goes into a lot of coffee enemas details. I'm looking forward to reading it soon.

My Detox Story: Coffee Enemas

Very briefly, I would advise that if you decide to experiment with CEs, that you approach it with caution and patience. Maybe try some very dilute amounts at first, with dilute amounts of water as well. I guess nothing is without its risks, but I would place CE toward the lower risk category, especially if started at minimal strength.

Best, Wayne

ahmo

I can´t go further anymore alone. I am anxious about my life. Not that I die from this reaction but that I die because I do not want to live this way anymore. I am 27 year young man. This would be my best time, where I could be most productive and building up my life.
Please know that, while it might take awhile, you're on the path to uncover what's driving your illness. Your life might be different than you thought it would be, but please hang in and accept the help that's available to you in these forums. Both emotionally and in helping you create a path towards healing.:hug:

If you're constipated, your liver is backed up with toxins it can't get rid of. this, in itself, is enough to make you depressed and irritable and a lot of other things. So, yes, emptying your bowels is a priority.

Re coffee enemas: find the lightest roast coffee you can. You can use a bit of soft gentle liquid soap in your enema for constipation. There's a list of many other things to put into enemas in my blog that Wayne linked.

Re your immune system over-activity: Here's an interesting approach, that seems to be working: 3 day water fast.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/critterinas-histamine-intolerance-journal.34685/
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/06/140605141507.htm

ahmo

@Santino I haven't read this whole thread. maybe these things have already been addressed. There might be mast cell issues. Also folate and B12 deficiencies can lead to depression and anxiety. I'm linking a recent newspaper article re folate and anxiety. (the article refers to folinic acid form; for me this is absolutely the wrong kind, and I've even had to eliminate green veggies, as they block my methylfolate; but folate is the real story here) And a vid on B12, and another re brain and mast cell release. Sorry you're feeling so bad.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...133862637&nk=7d6744957aac09544ab901d3b1a408a5
(I've tried making this into an embedded link, sorry it's so long.:thumbdown:)
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...133862637&nk=7d6744957aac09544ab901d3b1a408a5

Diagnosing and Treating Vitamin B12 Deficiency‬
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QqjyAeOLyKM
‪‘Brain Allergy’ and ASD - T. Theoharides, MD, PhD‬[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9QbZp3WcC1Q[/URL]

Santino

Hello ahmo,

thank you for your help.

I tried a water enema today. 2x 1.5l water. First it felt good and there were lot of stuff coming out which...yes...just felt right to get out of my body.

But 3-4 hours later my gut feels little irritated and I experience more anxiety and brain fog.

I already did the 3 day water fast (did 84 hours). The symptoms faded away completely but came back after eating again and especially depression set on worse than before.

Also I tried methyfolate and methylcobalamin. I got horrible anxiety from it for 2 days.

Why do you avoid green veggies? They do not contain folic acid but folate which is best you could take as I know.
Mast cell disease was excluded via biopsy.

Would coffee enema be bad if I do not tolerate coffee when drinking?
Could liquid soap irritate my gut even more than water alone?

best regards.

Santino

Hi @Gondwanaland,

I already did that as soon as I had the data.

But if I remember it correctly, then you just get some risk factors. For example: 10 x higher risk for prostate cancer and such things.

Nothing which would help me now... Are you searching for something specific?

EDIT:
I just took a look if I should let my data run again trough their platform, but it is not free. It is 5$, right? I think I also paid 5$ last time...

Last edited:

Santino

I just found odd ratios under the "bad news" category but no factor which would allow me to say I have disease "x".

Depression faded away one day after the enema but today brain fog and depression came slightly back. Now I took 10g of Lactulose instead of using an enema. I thought that I had this allergic like reaction to Lactulose in the past but now I know that it could have been anything I ate during that time already. So maybe it will help to relievve constipation and keep my gut moving until FMT....

Santino

It is used for:

1) Constipation -->laxative but the bowl don´t get´s depend on it. Just be careful with electrolyte...
2) Prebiotic--> lactulose is shown in many studies to fight clostridium and enhance bifido and lacto-bacteria
3) Liver diseases--> used either as enema or orally
4) yes it reduces ammonia levels