1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 2 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. This second article in a 2-Part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS....
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Heartburn etc. after eating carb?

Discussion in 'Gastrointestinal and Urinary' started by Plum, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Plum

Plum Senior Member

UK
    Hi

I am having a huge problem with carbohydrate and was wondering if anyone else has had this and can point me in the direction of some good info/resources..

I recently ended up in hospital with bad gastritis. Before this I would get really bad GERD after eating but not always. I've been gluten free for most of the time I've had severe ME. But I wasn't aware how bad things were.

I have now learnt that if I eat carb - potatoes, rice, gluten, any other grains; that I end up with terrible heartburn and food coming back up.

If I don't eat carb but stick to meat and veg only then I feel ok. I've also found eating my meals in 2 portions helps instead of all in one go.

Does any one else have this?

I have been reading about low stomach acid, need for digestive enzymes etc but is there more that I'm not aware of?

Thank you in advance :)

2. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Plum

I started taking trienza digestive enzymes recently - it means I can eat gluten free oats now. I've stayed on a low carb diet for the past few weeks to help with the night sweats - they're down 75% now. I don't normally have a problem with carbs if I try to just eat veg with them rather than protein.

I had the lowest stomach acid the lab had ever tested some years ago - I take lamberts betaine - its the only one I tolerate.. strange. Not every day though maybe 3/4 times a week - don't have much actual stomach problem now. just chronic constipation...........

I tried dig enzymes some years ago, a nutritionist I had sent me some but I couldn't tolerate them, but trienza I can.
    like you I'm okay if I only eat meat and veg - I had a pie - yes a pie last night - I was so tired and my hubbie was heating one up so - for the first time in 5 yrs I had pastry and felt rotten, this morning I have had acid reflux which I never get - your body tellsyou what it likes doesn't it? no more pies.............

Plum likes this.
  3. Plum

Plum Senior Member

UK
    Thanks. I've been splitting my meals in half and also just eating protein and veg. It feels much better.

About 6 months ago I started increasing the carb I was eating by including potatoes in my diet due to low temp. It did raise my temp by half a degree but now doesn't seem worth it!

See more popular forum discussions.