May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Heart rate

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by reader62, Feb 4, 2017.

1. reader62

reader62

Hi, all!

I've just started using a heart rate monitor in the hope that it will help me with pacing, which I'm finding difficult to get right. However I've also notices that my heart rate is shooting all over the place. My resting heart rate is naturally pretty low - around 60-64 bpm. But it'll shoot up into the 80s if I just walk across the room, and a little job like loading the washing machine will take it up to around 110. Is this normal?

2. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member

Perfectly normal (for me anyway). My resting heart rate is similar. Once you get used to keeping it low you will find that you start to do things a bit slower and taking more breaks from the physical. I realised I was walking too quickly everywhere and getting up too quickly from sitting position etc ...I'm more sloth like now and keep everything below 95 bpm unless I'm doing my walk. Which monitor did you go for in the end?

TiredSam likes this.
  3. reader62

reader62

4. mirshine

mirshine Senior Member

Dublin, Ireland
    Yep, all part of the joys of ME as far as I know. Even just standing up starts my monitor beeping. It does help pace though. Different days, or times of the day, slow walking may be too much or just about ok. I assume it's part of why the barest activity sets off PEM.

Mel9 and arewenearlythereyet like this.
  5. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member

mirshine likes this.
  6. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    You could try noting how much your HR jumps up just from going from sitting to standing (you need to have been sitting for a while). If you stand up and don't move, monitoring your HR could tell you whether you have POTS--which might mean a different strategy for pacing. I jump of 30 points (within a few minutes) from just standing in place indicates POTS. This is known as "a poor man's tilt table test."

7. Old Bones

Old Bones Senior Member

My resting HR is in the 50 - 65 range, depending on how rested I am. Upon standing, it increases anywhere from 30 - 50 bpm. Walking in the house, or using my arms in front of my body while standing, it can reach the 140's. Walking outside at a moderate pace -- up to the 150's.

8. Murph

Murph :)

that is normal. hr varies a lot as you move round.

arewenearlythereyet likes this.
  9. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Sounds normal to me.

arewenearlythereyet and mirshine like this.
  10. Jessie 107

Jessie 107

Brighton
    Hello,
    Was just reading through this thread ,I am fairly new to all this.
    My doctor has told me he thinks I have me/cfs and my symptoms do point to this unfortunately. I am considering getting a heart rate monitor as I struggle with pacing and trying to find the balance. My question is can you explain to me what Pots is.
    Many thanks

11. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque

See more popular forum discussions.