• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hearing and GABA/glutamate imbalance

Several years ago on this forum, someone mentioned GABA's and glutamate's impact on auditory processing. They mentioned that their symptom was hearing someone talk but not understanding or recognizing the sounds as words, which frequently happens to me. I don't remember if it was the same person or someone responding, but they said that it has to do with GABA and glutamate. When you are relaxed, GABA allows you to filter out background noise. If you are aroused, glutamate makes you unable to filter it out. I've been unable to find any other information on this problem. Nor can I find the thread. Does anyone remember reading about this?

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
Being new here I don´t know al lot of threads, but the following might give some hint as well.

To less GABA and to much glutamate could be caused by to much nitric oxide. It would also unbalance dopamine (which is guessed to cause halluzinations). I put the literature in a thread on manganese (and nitric oxide), I think #18.

I too had some noices, telefon and clockringing (but only for the three worst years once every second day). It had stopped but could come back if I would take too much thyrosine (which had been helpful nevertheless, and still is). In addition my beard now grows stronger and faster.

A little bit optimistic may be:​
"The damaging effects of manganese to dopaminergic neurons (should they be inherent to prenatal or early postnatal exposure) may result in profound effects on thyroid hormone synthesis at the level of the thyrotroph in the thyroid due to TSH changes." ...
"To examine the effect of manganese on the regulation of thyroid hormone, rats were treated with a manganese-rich diet (10 mg/kg/day as manganese sulfate [MnSO4]) for a period of five weeks (Buthieau and Autissier, 1983). High accumulation of manganese in the pituitary gland resulted in a significant decrease in serum T4, T3, and in TSH concentrations. No change in thyroidal T4 and T3 concentrations were observed. Given that binding of TSH to thyroid plasma membranes is strongly inhibited by neutral salts at relatively low concentrations, manganese probably contributes to a decrease in the binding of TSH to the thyroidal plasma membrane. The decrease in binding would then result in higher circulating TSH levels which, through negative feedback, would inhibit release of TSH from the pituitary gland. It is expected that the decrease in T4 levels would be followed by an enhanced pituitary TSH secretion. In agreement with other studies this study suggests that the role of manganese in thyroid hormone regulation and metabolism is not directly mediated by thyroid hormone synthesis."
3a in:
EFFECTS OF MANGANESE ON THYROID HORMONE HOMOSTASIS; 3a https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2067987/

but THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!
I didn´t know.​

(Of course more literature needed to checked
eg https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25774040)

Last edited: