Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Hear Francis Collins Talking About His Position As NIH Director And What's Next

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Never Give Up, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...sidential-transition/?WT.mc_id=SA_TW_HLTH_POD

Basically the position is by appointment of the POTUS, he must turn in his resignation letter by 12/7, his term ends when the new POTUS takes office, and his appointee then fills the position. In theory FC could be appointed again. He does know plenty about the disease and the struggle, it would be a shame to lose that, unless of course Vicky Whittemore were next.

L'engle, Webdog, Comet and 7 others like this.
  2. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

3. NL93

NL93 Senior Member

The Netherlands
    Could be a real problem if some die-hard republican ME denier takes over:depressed:

4. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member

I have no idea what Francis Collins' politics are. He was appointed Director of the NIH by President Obama in 2009 and was unanimously approved by the Senate. He was also awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Bush in 2007. He is described as a "born-again Christian" who, in a 1998 interview with Scientific American, said that he was "intensely uncomfortable with abortion as a solution to anything."

He also plays guitar, rides motorcycles and formed a rock band with other NIH scientists called "The Directors."

It seems as though both sides of the political spectrum are more or less OK with him.

Hopefully, he'll stay.

See more popular forum discussions.