The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Healthzone Canada article: Clinical depression often blamed before diagnosis of fibro

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by natasa778, May 20, 2010.

1. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

2. usedtobeperkytina

usedtobeperkytina Senior Member

Clay, Alabama
  3. L'engle

L'engle moogle

Canada
    Thanks for the article. A useful one to show to people.:Retro smile:

4. leelaplay

leelaplay member

thanks natasa

I think this is so good at reflecting the reality of having Me/CFS in Canada, and maybe elsewhere, that I'm going to put the whole thing here. Sorry to those of you who prefer links,; please just skip.

I'm one of the people that finds having to link tiring. I use cool previews on firefox so that I don't have to click to change pages, then click to get back, but many people don't have this.

5. tymewarp#9

tymewarp#9

Central California
    natasa778, Thanks for pointing us to this article; it is classic.

6. parvofighter

parvofighter Senior Member

Canada
    Excellent article

Thanks again Natasa - a truly great article. Great factual references. Personal angle. Very compelling.

I looked up the author, Vivian Song. She has her own website: http://viviansong.com/Home_Page.html And you can contact Vivian to give feedback at: vivsong@gmail.com

Also, I contacted Statistics Canada (http://www.statcan.gc.ca/cgi-bin/CO...bsolc/olc-cel/olc-cel?lang=eng&catno=82-577-X ) for additional background information on the following:
    " 2005 Canadian Community Health Survey prepared by Statistics Canada, of 23 chronic health conditions, chronic fatigue, chemical sensitivities and fibromyalgia topped the list for unmet health care needs."
    Thanks again!

Parvo:Retro smile:

7. tolduiwuzsic

tolduiwuzsic

South Carolina
    Thanks! This is a great article for us newbies :D:D:sofa::victory:

8. jewel

jewel Senior Member

Nice article. The only thing I wonder about are the use of terms such as "looney" for depression vs. "legitimate medical condition." CFS/ME, FMS, and/or MCS do not equal depression. Depression, though, is a legitimate medical (mental health) condition also. It's just, no one would consider it appropriate to treat depression with antivirals, to tell people to rest and pace... But, individuals in either category of illness deserve their "respect." Just a minor quibble, otherwise, enjoyed the article. Thank you

9. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Parvo, would love some follow up should you get any answer back from both parties.

Nice to hear the word is going around the country. Would be much better if research money was being injected for ME/CFS. What are they waiting for?

10. tolduiwuzsic

tolduiwuzsic

South Carolina
    I agree with Jewel. This is not a minor quibble. I believe it is the foundation of the misdiagnosis and lack of research for CFS/ME. I work in the psychiatric field and it is such a disservice to patients how this developed into a rift between what's psychiatric and what's real or medical because psychiatric illness such as depression and anxiety are legitimate, medical, biological illnesses and so is CFS/ME.

The problem began when GP's threw us into the "wastebasket" and referred us to Psychiatrists who then tried to make our illness into something they could treat. If all you have is a Hammer then EVERYTHING is a NAIL. So psychiatrists tried to hammer us into their little holes i.e. hypochondriasis; anxiety; depression; exercise avoidance, GET/CBT etc... because we didn't fit in anywhere else and we do indeed have anxiety, depression, aches, pains, somatic complaints but it's the result of CFS/ME, not a primary psychiatric condition. Then we get shoved into the psych bible, DSM because we are most often being treated by psychiatrists.

In college, when my neurological symptoms became so bad I could no longer stay quiet and pushed my GP for more testing, I was promptly referred to a psychiatrist and then promptly into a psychiatric hospital. Looking back, I'm glad since I discovered my beloved career path as a psychiatric social worker and there were other patients there with similar anxiety symptoms who told me about their journeys with an odd illness I'd never heard of before called Fibromyalgia....

Unfortunately, many of us do end up with depression, anxiety and PTSD as well as CFS/ME due to the way we are treated by physicians, our famillies, our friends, co-workers....THE WORLD. And personally, because of that, the way my illness was misdiagnosed and mistreated, I don't really trust psychiatrists and psychologists. It's makes my work life hell. I'm not excusing psychiatrists (because they could have done more advocating for us rather than forcing us into their BOX) but they do get dumped on when other specialities can't figure out what's going on. But IMHO once a patient is referred to a psychiatrist, they've already been written off, thrown into the wastebasket, considered a difficult case or a hypochondriac. So the cycle continues. Now, with WPI and Dr. Klimas and forums like Phoenix Rising there is a paradigm shift and I am so grateful to be a part of it. It's so exciting and fills me with hope.

11. usedtobeperkytina

usedtobeperkytina Senior Member

Clay, Alabama
    Yes, as has been said, "looney" is an unfortunate choice of term.

But, it wasn't the reporter that said that, it was someone else the reporter quoted.

Tina

12. L'engle

L'engle moogle

Canada
    I agree about this being a problem in the article, and actually would hesitate to pass it on because depression is a real condition. There should be no animosity between two very marginalized sets of people , those with mental illnesses and those with CFS/FM.

13. nicole61

nicole61

hi, This is Nicole Anderson and I've gone through your article and it is fabulous. It is of much benefit and also provides useful information.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Discover the hidden source of targeted traffic that unearths eager* buying customers, drives them straight to your site, and literally explodes your profits almost overnight at just simple click unique article wizard.

See more popular forum discussions.