Choline on the Brain? A Guide to Choline in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
http://phoenixrising.me/research-2/the-brain-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs/choline-on-the-brain-a-guide-to-choline-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-by-cort-johnson-aug-2005
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Health-threatening interpretation of ambiguity early on: risk or protective factor? Comparing CFS/ME

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

http://www.ehps2015.org/files/EHPS2015_Conference_Abstracts_27082015.pdf

29th Conference of the European Health Psychology Society

aimossy, Valentijn, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Revolting Peasant

Scotland
    The language is a bit on the complex side for me but am I right in thinking that the hypothesis was not confirmed? That it was the healthy individuals who behaved in the manner expected of the pwME/CFS but that the patients did not?

aimossy, Valentijn, Woolie and 2 others like this.
  3. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
    Ooops. Time to confront the illness beliefs of those healthies.

Kudos to you Tom for wading through these little gems.

Simon, Valentijn, Sidereal and 7 others like this.
  4. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

That is how I read it too.

Sidereal, Woolie, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  5. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Are they trying to insinuate that ME patients are at fault because (even though they don't have an interpretation bias now) they were once healthy people who had an "interpretive bias towards health-threatening meaning" (which therefore may have triggered the illness)? Or is my cynical brain reading too much into their 'discussion' section?

6. whodathunkit

whodathunkit Senior Member

At a glance, not really a great thing going on here. They will probably spin this to mean that CFS patients are inherently inclined to ignore symptoms in the early stages (possibly some form of "self-delusion"), thus allowing themselves to get sick.

Sidereal, Hutan and Bob like this.
  7. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    My brain immediately went into that same direction! :rolleyes: But it looks like they came to the conclusion that PWME don't go into an irrational fit while processing health related information. In other words: they FINALLY checked their baseless theory with reality and guess what, it turns out to be BS. I'm so surprised.

Valentijn, Sidereal, Woolie and 3 others like this.
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

These names are new to me (going just from memory).
    They are not well-known psychobabblers (to me) (with regard to ME/CFS). They could be fair/good (some psychologists who study the illness have it themselves)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    Valentijn, Bob and Scarecrow like this.
  9. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    Iana Alexeeva
    Maryanne Martin
    You gotta love her title: Professor of ABNORMAL Psychology :rolleyes:

Woolie and Kati like this.
  10. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

I doubt it will change anything. Years ago someone did a study using actimetry to check if boom and bust behaviour is actually real. The failed to find episodes of markedly increased activity though.

I think that to propose these illness models one must have some form of mental illness that causes a lack of interest in reality. It's like they have contempt for objectively measuring things.

Valentijn, Sidereal, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  11. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    Yeah it all depends on how they interpret this. We all know they have twisted and turned results until it fit into their little box.

12. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Also there is another ME/CFS study right after:

So according to these findings, depression is protective against CFS. Maybe patients will snap out of their CFS if they are just sufficiently depressed?

Or maybe this study is a total waste of time.

Valentijn, Cheshire and Hutan like this.
  13. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Valentijn and Woolie like this.
  14. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

(First study, at the top): Looks like they used words that have two possible meanings, one of which is related to health threat (e.g., "operate" could mean surgery, or something was less medical).

It looks like what they did is provide a word before this ambiguous word that was either related to the "health threatening" meaning (e.g., surgery - operate), or to the neutral meaning (machinery - operate). I think they wanted to see if the PWMEs would be more "primed" by the threatening meaning. Suggesting it could be more at the front of their minds.

There was some sort of control condition too (judging from the numbers in brackets in the stats), but not clear from the abstract what that was.

Anyway, controls and PWMEs didn't behave differently across these various conditions.

Putting aside the content, its a not a good abstract, as it doesn't provide much information about what was actually done and found (the most important part of any study). It seems this field of research doesn't demand very high standards.

Bob, Valentijn, Dolphin and 1 other person like this.
  15. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

Do you have a reference?

16. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

One study is:

Post on it: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ty-in-cfs-meeus-et-al-2011.13139/#post-221658

Woolie likes this.
  17. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

A.B. and Dolphin like this.

See more popular forum discussions.