• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Healing Foods

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Coconut oil is also great to use in oil pulling--to rinse the mouth with. Really helps oral hygiene.
(I know someone has written that up somewhere on this forum.)

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Coconut Bliss...yum yum yum yum yum! :p Here's a link: http://coconutbliss.com/
What flavor(s) of Coconut Bliss do you have with your raspberries. I was assuming it was coconut flavored which would be very good. Dark chocolate would also be very good, since dark chocolate is very good with (or without) anything.

Well, that is amazing. The store in a nearby town where I buy the things I cannot get locally carries Coconut Bliss. :D

Dreambirdie

work in progress
What flavor(s) of Coconut Bliss do you have with your raspberries. I was assuming it was coconut flavored which would be very good.

I usually buy the Naked Coconut or the Vanilla Island flavors. Chocolate revs me up, so I rarely eat it.

I'm glad to hear it's locally available to you, so you can try it out some time. :cool:

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

I checked the claim on that page about avocados being high in omega-3, as I had doubts about it. As a vegan, I have looked into this issue quite a lot. Sure enough, avocados don't seem to have much at all according to this page:

http://www.foodcomp.dk/v7/fcdb_details.asp?FoodId=0011 (look at the figure for 'Sum n-3 fatty acids' and compare it with the sums for some other foods using the site).

If you're looking for good plant sources of omega-3, this well-referenced page has some info:

http://www.brendadavisrd.com/articles.php?id=26

but most plant sources are of short-chain omega-3s which need to be converted in the body to the essential long-chain ones. People vary in their ability to perform such conversions, and perhaps people with ME are less able.

For that reason I now take a long-chain omega-3 supplement, in which the fatty acids are derived from marine algae.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I usually buy the Naked Coconut or the Vanilla Island flavors. Chocolate revs me up, so I rarely eat it.

I'm glad to hear it's locally available to you, so you can try it out some time. :cool:
They had only Vanilla Island and Cappuccino. I do not like coffee, so that left me with vanilla which fortunately I like a lot. It was very good with the frozen raspberries. :thumbsup:

golden

http://www.rawhealth.uk.com/page-293.html

And I wanted to share unpasteurised, live, fresh sauerkraut too....

This link was 'hard won' by me, meaning it took loads of effort to source this product.

Gillian McKeith also speaks volumes about it. But as with all foods,and more so with M.E. people, its an individual thing.

I love it... I feel really cleansed and strengthened by it.

golden

Feeling really ill every time I read the word 'broth' :( won't talk about the image it conjured up...

trying to replace it with bone stew, bone pie, bone cake lol

L'engle

moogle
Does anyone know what is the best type of coconut oil to use? :)

I've found coconut oil seems to vary more by batch than by brand. I've had good and bad tasting jars with various brands. I've heard that paying double for 'extra virgin' coconut oil isn't really much better. If you get a batch that tastes weird you can always use it for body lotion. I've never had to waste this stuff since it's so useful. Much better than petroleum-based lotions.

jeffrez

Does anyone know what is the best type of coconut oil to use? :)

Like L'engle says, it can vary by batch - the taste can, at least. The two brands I've found consistently the best are Garden of Life, and green label Tropical Traditions (yum! But a bit more expensive. The gold label tasted really weird to me, btw - couldn't eat it, so saved it for dry hands in the winter, etc.).

I usually go with Garden of Life because of the price, and I feel it's a quality oil. It's available on Amazon, and shipping is fast. TT would be my preferred choice, but I only get it once in a while, or when it's on sale. It's usually like 30-40% more expensive, and for some reason seems to take a long time to ship. But it's definitely worth it - a great oil.

I would definitely only get extra virgin, though, and of course always organic. Last thing you need is a bunch of chemicals in your oil.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
@golden--This must be what you're referring to.

Oils to treat foggy brain and dementia

"A suggested regime to start off would be:
  • Lecithin - one teaspoon (5 ml) twice daily (raw material for basic building blocks of membrane).
  • Coconut oil - one dessertspoonful (10 ml) twice daily (perfect fuel for brain cells).
  • Hemp oil which has the right proportion of omega 6 to 3 (4 to 1) (ensures membranes are of perfect consistency - not too stiff, not too elastic).
See Phospholipid exchangefor the correct proportions. Hemp oil is near enough perfect with a ratio of 3.8 to 1 of omega 6 to 3. However there are combinations of other oils one can use in case allergy gets in the way!

Ideally, all these oils should be organic. A very delicious way to take coconut oil is first to melt it in a warm place, then stir in organic cocoa powder (eg Green and Black's), possibly a teaspoon of D-ribose - allow to cool and go hard - and hey presto! - perfect chocolate! You may have to vary the ingredients according to taste; but what I like is 1/3 pot (150grams) coconut oil with 1/2 pot cocoa powder (60grams) and a teaspoon of D-ribose!

Throughout life, the brain creates a million new connections every second! This means there is huge potential for healing and repair; it is simply a case of moving things in the right direction! But the brain has to have the optimum energy supply to allow this process to happen!
Also see Phospholipid exchange

Research done by Professor Caroline Pond at Milton Keynes has shown that the immune system, like the brain, is also fat-loving. Wild animals, if they have a food glut, will first deposit fat around lymph nodes where energy is needed for immune activity. This may explain why people who are apple-shaped are more prone to heart disease compared to those pear-shaped. Fat deposited around the gut indicates inflammation there (possibly allergy or fermenting gut) and inflammation results in arterial damage."

http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Brain_fog_-_poor_memory,_difficulty_thinking_clearly_etc

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Like L'engle says, it can vary by batch - the taste can, at least. The two brands I've found consistently the best are Garden of Life, and green label Tropical Traditions (yum! But a bit more expensive. The gold label tasted really weird to me, btw - couldn't eat it, so saved it for dry hands in the winter, etc.).

I usually go with Garden of Life because of the price, and I feel it's a quality oil. It's available on Amazon, and shipping is fast. TT would be my preferred choice, but I only get it once in a while, or when it's on sale. It's usually like 30-40% more expensive, and for some reason seems to take a long time to ship. But it's definitely worth it - a great oil.

I would definitely only get extra virgin, though, and of course always organic. Last thing you need is a bunch of chemicals in your oil.

I use Biona. Don't know if this is available outside the UK.