1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Healing Foods

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by golden, Mar 11, 2013.

1. golden

golden Senior Member

Clear Light
  2. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    I just heard (last week on Dr Oz :cool:) that avocados are high in glutathione. Who knows if that G actually gets where it need to go...? I like 'em anyway. YUM!

One of my favorite healthy foods are collard greens. I eat them by the bucket full lately. With a little olive and lemon they are delicious. I've been adding shitake mushrooms to them as well. Seven shitakes/day for the past 3 months has prevented me from being sick as often with viral bugs.

golden likes this.
  3. golden

golden Senior Member

Clear Light
  4. Dmitri

Dmitri

NYC
    Are collard greens bitter or stingy? Do you think they are suitable for sensitive digestion?

5. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    hmm interesting u guys are listing all the foods I crave. Avocado is my go to food for all, specially when stomach is upset, I don't feel like eating something but need to put something on my stomach, I am too acidic..... I also crave asparagus and kale.

6. Dreambirdie

N. California
    They are supposedly bitter, but they don't taste that bitter to me.
    (Must be because I am full of sweetness...:rolleyes:)

maryb and Dmitri like this.
  7. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    Berries (blueberry, raspberry, strawberry) and cherries are supposed to be good for the brain and heart. I like to eat frozen dark sweet cherries straight from the freezer. The blueberries and raspberries are pretty good that way too, especially in hot weather.

overtrain likes this.
  8. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Veges high in sulphur makes me vomit and give me terrible diarrhoea. My body expels them very quickly.It's a pity because I like veges.

9. Dreambirdie

N. California
    Yes, I love frozen raspberries and eat them regularly. My big treat is to mix them with some Coconut Bliss (coconut based ice cream). There is a reason they call it "bliss." :)

Little Bluestem likes this.
  10. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

My favorite healing food these days is sweet potatoes. If I eat a large, organic sweet potato with dinner, I'll sleep better that night.

Four dried turkish figs also help, but don't have as strong an effect.

I think the sleep benefits come from the tryptophan both these foods contain.

ahimsa and golden like this.
  11. Dreambirdie

N. California
    Yes, jewel yams are one of my favorite healing foods. With some cinnamon and coconut oil it's even more tasty and healing. :p:p:p (that's me licking my chops as in YUM!)

golden likes this.
  12. Dreambirdie

N. California
    I have to add wild mushrooms to the list. My partner is an expert wild mushroom forager. He brings home chantrelles and boletes (photo below) on a regular basis during the winter. They are so incredibly delicious, sauteed in butter or ghee.

Boletus edulis.jpg

Dmitri and jeffrez like this.
  13. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Meat/fish broth.

jeffrez likes this.
  14. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    Wow - what a giant fungus! Did you eat it?

I have found that my gut seems to like cabbage, and if I don't have some every day I often notice that my gut function is worse.

I just did a quick search for 'cabbage medicinal' and found this page:

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...IngredientId=171&activeIngredientName=CABBAGE

which does refer to various gut benefits.

Also this page:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-cabbage.htm

specifically says "Regular consumption of the vegetable may also reduce intestinal upset."

Maybe I should try harder to have some every day. Luckily I do like it!

15. jeffrez

jeffrez Senior Member

NY
    All these suggestions are great. I'll go with Adreno and add bone broth and sardines (low mercury, good EFAs) to the list. Couldn't live without olive oil, either, I pour that over everything.

Dreambirdie likes this.
  16. Dreambirdie

N. California
    Oh yes, we did eat that mushroom. Boletes are a treasure. They're a more rare find, and really tasty.

17. Dreambirdie

N. California
    Bone broth is super-concentrated nourishment. The Weston Price folks have a good article about it here:
    http://www.westonaprice.org/food-features/broth-is-beautiful

jeffrez likes this.
  18. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    How could I forget the blackberries? (Yeah, I know, brain fog.) They are blissful mixed with mango sorbet, especially the fresh ones. Blue Bunny mango sorbet, if you live in the US Midwest.

Who makes Coconut Bliss? That sounds like something that would be really good for me, or at least really good.

19. Dreambirdie

N. California
    Coconut Bliss...yum yum yum yum yum! :p Here's a link: http://coconutbliss.com/

gretac, Little Bluestem and Valentijn like this.
  20. Shoesies

Shoesies Senior Member

None of my greens are ever bitter. Old southern trick slice a potato in half and cook in with your greens. Takes up the bitterness. I guess the blackberry wine helps too. I love swiss chard sauteed in my five herb infused olive oil. Man, I am getting hungry. When I get out of this relapse I am SO going on a cooking spree.

See more popular forum discussions.