• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Healing Foods

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I just heard (last week on Dr Oz :cool:) that avocados are high in glutathione. Who knows if that G actually gets where it need to go...? I like 'em anyway. YUM!

One of my favorite healthy foods are collard greens. I eat them by the bucket full lately. With a little olive and lemon they are delicious. I've been adding shitake mushrooms to them as well. Seven shitakes/day for the past 3 months has prevented me from being sick as often with viral bugs.

Dmitri

I just heard (last week on Dr Oz :cool:) that avocados are high in glutathione. Who knows if that G actually gets where it need to go...? I like 'em anyway. YUM!

One of my favorite healthy foods are collard greens. I eat them by the bucket full lately. With a little olive and lemon they are delicious. I've been adding shitake mushrooms to them as well. Seven shitakes/day for the past 3 months has prevented me from being sick as often with viral bugs as I usually am.

Are collard greens bitter or stingy? Do you think they are suitable for sensitive digestion?

Seven7

Seven
hmm interesting u guys are listing all the foods I crave. Avocado is my go to food for all, specially when stomach is upset, I don't feel like eating something but need to put something on my stomach, I am too acidic..... I also crave asparagus and kale.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Berries (blueberry, raspberry, strawberry) and cherries are supposed to be good for the brain and heart. I like to eat frozen dark sweet cherries straight from the freezer. The blueberries and raspberries are pretty good that way too, especially in hot weather.

ukxmrv

Veges high in sulphur makes me vomit and give me terrible diarrhoea. My body expels them very quickly.It's a pity because I like veges.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Berries (blueberry, raspberry, strawberry) and cherries are supposed to be good for the brain and heart. I like to eat frozen dark sweet cherries straight from the freezer. The blueberries and raspberries are pretty good that way too, especially in hot weather.

Yes, I love frozen raspberries and eat them regularly. My big treat is to mix them with some Coconut Bliss (coconut based ice cream). There is a reason they call it "bliss." :)

perchance dreamer

My favorite healing food these days is sweet potatoes. If I eat a large, organic sweet potato with dinner, I'll sleep better that night.

Four dried turkish figs also help, but don't have as strong an effect.

I think the sleep benefits come from the tryptophan both these foods contain.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Yes, jewel yams are one of my favorite healing foods. With some cinnamon and coconut oil it's even more tasty and healing. :p:p:p (that's me licking my chops as in YUM!)

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I have to add wild mushrooms to the list. My partner is an expert wild mushroom forager. He brings home chantrelles and boletes (photo below) on a regular basis during the winter. They are so incredibly delicious, sauteed in butter or ghee.

Boletus edulis.jpg

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I have to add wild mushrooms to the list. My partner is an expert wild mushroom forager. He brings home chantrelles and boletes (photo below) on a regular basis during the winter. They are so incredibly delicious, sauteed in butter or ghee.

View attachment 4610

Wow - what a giant fungus! Did you eat it?

I have found that my gut seems to like cabbage, and if I don't have some every day I often notice that my gut function is worse.

I just did a quick search for 'cabbage medicinal' and found this page:

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...IngredientId=171&activeIngredientName=CABBAGE

which does refer to various gut benefits.

Also this page:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-cabbage.htm

specifically says "Regular consumption of the vegetable may also reduce intestinal upset."

Maybe I should try harder to have some every day. Luckily I do like it!

jeffrez

All these suggestions are great. I'll go with Adreno and add bone broth and sardines (low mercury, good EFAs) to the list. Couldn't live without olive oil, either, I pour that over everything.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Yes, I love frozen raspberries and eat them regularly. My big treat is to mix them with some Coconut Bliss (coconut based ice cream). There is a reason they call it "bliss." :)
How could I forget the blackberries? (Yeah, I know, brain fog.) They are blissful mixed with mango sorbet, especially the fresh ones. Blue Bunny mango sorbet, if you live in the US Midwest.

Who makes Coconut Bliss? That sounds like something that would be really good for me, or at least really good.

Shoesies

They are supposedly bitter, but they don't taste that bitter to me.
(Must be because I am full of sweetness...:rolleyes:)

None of my greens are ever bitter. Old southern trick slice a potato in half and cook in with your greens. Takes up the bitterness. I guess the blackberry wine helps too. I love swiss chard sauteed in my five herb infused olive oil. Man, I am getting hungry. When I get out of this relapse I am SO going on a cooking spree.