• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Headache and dry mouth from hydroxocobalamin and methylfolate

I guess this post will irritate some of you due to the fact that many similar threads probably have been started prior to mine. I still feel that I have to post this because I'm not sure whether my pretty severe headaches from hydroxocobalamin and methylfolate is something good (detox-effect) or something bad, which means that I need to stop immediately. Before I start writing about my experience with b12 and mthf I want to say that I probably don't have ME (I think I have mthfr, waiting on my 23andme-test). The reason I write on your forum is that you seem to be very knowledgeable about this.

For a couple of weeks ago I started taking methylcobalamin and methylfolate (around 2 mg b12 and 1 mg methylfolate). It felt amazing for a week or so (maybe two) but then the effect stopped. A couple of days later I found this thread: http://www.longecity.org/forum/topi...tently-disappearing-during-alcohol-hangovers/

The guy who started the thread had the same problem as me but came up with a solution - to take hydrocobalamin instead of methylcobalamin. This has worked extremely well for him for over a year with close to no side effects. Since we both had the exact same dopamine-effect from hangovers and the same experience from taking methylcobalamin and methylfolate I really believed this could be the solution for me as well.

So I ordered it and the when I took it I first felt great but then I got a harsh headache and a very dry mouth and felt tired. The headache and dry mouth remained to the next day. I took the hydrocobalamin and mthf the next day as well (probably not so clever). That was yesterday, today I haven't been taking it but the headache remains (the time is 11 pm in Sweden right now), a bit better now though. During this time I have been drinking high amounts of water but I have not been been required to pee very often at all, which probably indicates that the water is needed in my body.

Before my headaches started I took 1 mg hydrocobalamin one time a day and around 300 mcg mthf two times a day. I have been eating really healthy for the last two month or so (bulletproof-diet).

Mainly I want to get some information on what you think is causing this with my main question being if you believe that detox is causing this, which then would be a pretty good thing, or if it is something much more severe and bad happening to my brain when taking it.

I hope my English was understandable and that someone had the willpower to read all this.