1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Standing Up for Patients: An Interview with Dr. Derek Enlander
Gabby Klein considers the efforts Dr. Enlander has gone to to ensure that the reality of ME/CFS is presented to the world at large, and gives us an insight into his opinions on some current issues, including an update on the formation of an academy for ME and CFS physicians,...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Hawthorn extract/ cardiovascular health?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by heapsreal, Oct 6, 2013.

1. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Hawthorne extract is said to be good for ones heart as it improves coronary circulation, blood pressure and regulates heart rthym etc. Seems to be good research behind it.

So my question is, what are others experiences with this for blood pressure etc maybe for pots/oi symptoms also, basically anything to do with cardiovascular system?

cheers!!
  2. jeffrez

jeffrez Senior Member

NY
    I'm starting that again now, coincidentally. I just came off a few months of eleuthero, and found that it actually has seemed to weaken my heart and adrenals. Felt great while I was on it, but I think it lowers cortisol and NO too much. I'm hoping the hawthorn can help reverse that 'cause now I feel like crap!

Like you said, with all the good research behind hawthorn, and with the ventricular dysfunction, etc. found by Cheney and others, it would seem to make sense for ME. I've taken it for short periods in the past, but not long-term. But maybe long term use will once again turn out to have unintended negative consequences, like so many things seem to. Overall, it seems like a very good herb, though.

Btw, heaps, have you ever tried "polyrhachis ant?" (scroll down: http://www.holistic-back-relief.com/adrenal-fatigue-supplements.html). Looks very interesting! :D
    heapsreal likes this.
  3. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    I tried hawthorn berry capsules for 5 months for hypertension. No effect as far as I recall. I'm sure I would have kept taking them if they had worked! Tried all sorts of natural treatments without success, so ended up reluctantly taking an ACE inhibitor, which I have been fine with.
    heapsreal likes this.
  4. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Senior Member

Left Coast
    I tried it a few years ago. I can't remember if it did nothing or if I had a problem. Since I'm no longer taking it, I'm thinking I had problem.
    heapsreal likes this.
  5. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    never heard of the polyrhachis ant, will look into it abit more.
    Yes the ventricular dysfunction that cheney and lerner mention, i wonder if its an issue the longer one has cfs and also worsening pots/oi issues??

Thanks MeSci i will keep that in mind if i dont see an improvement in a few months.

minkeygirl;)

See more popular forum discussions.