Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Having a Hard Time Tolerating Exercise? by Holtorf Medical Group

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Webdog, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member

This article just popped up in a search of today's news. It's undated, but I haven't seen it before.

I might show it to a doctor who recently prescribed 30-45 minutes of brisk exercise a day for me. I might also show it to my primary care doc, who recently denied a request for a CPET test.

Mary, AndyPR, OhShoot and 4 others like this.
  2. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

Here are the references sited:

References

1. Johnson, J. The Exercise Intolerance in POTS, ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia Explained? Health Rising: Finding Answers for ME/CFS and FM. Available at: http://www.healthrising.org/blog/20...-fibromyalgia-chronic-fatigue-pots-explained/

2. Nijs, J et al. Altered immune response to exercise in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis: a systemic literature review. Exerc Immunol Rev. 2014; 20: 94-116.

It's the decreased constriction of veins during exercise leads to decreased heart size, which leads to decrease circulation theory.

Says,
    And

AndyPR, taniaaust1, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  3. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

Decreased heart size! :wide-eyed::nervous:

4. ahimsa

ahimsa Rarely on PR now

Little Bluestem likes this.
  5. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    Presumably this ties in with the fact the heart (like any muscle) needs to consume energy at a certain rate (i.e. power) for a given activity level, and if that power is not available, then the heart must inevitably operate with restricted capacity. Akin to a car with a leaky fuel pipe - not all the fuel (energy) gets to where it is needed, at the rate it needs to.

6. Sushi

Sushi Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    There are exceptions though. I have had a lot of cardiac testing and my heart and all the chambers are of normal size. My ejection fraction is also normal. But I have exercise intolerance, dysautonomia etc. Seems to be complex.

Dechi and ahimsa like this.
  7. Mary

Mary Forum Support Assistant

Southern California
  8. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

Do you know if a normal amount of blood was going into the heart? A high percent of a reduced amount is still a reduced amount.

9. Sushi

Sushi Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Probably not, due to OI and blood pooling, but I don't have any data on it.

Little Bluestem likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.