The Power and Pitfalls of Omics: George Davey Smith’s storming talk at ME/CFS conference
Read about the talk that stole the show at a recent ME/CFS conference in Simon McGrath's two-part blog.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Have you tried Oxygen Therapy and did it help you?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Ellie_Finesse, Feb 23, 2016.

?

Have you tried Oxygen Therapy to help alleviate some of your symptoms?

1. Yes.... Oxygen Therapy helped alleviate symptoms!

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Yes....Oxygen Therapy didn't help alleviate symptoms!

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. No.... I haven't tried Oxygen Therapy!

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  1. Ellie_Finesse

Ellie_Finesse Senior Member

UK
    A friend of mine who has ME and Fibro went to a charity run MS Centre, where they offer Oxygen Therapy as a treatment to help alleviate symptoms. They also take on patients with fibro and ME.

I am considering giving it a try, and I was wondering if anyone has tried the above treatment and whether it has helped alleviate/improve some of their symptoms. I would love to hear your experiences and views on the topic.

I have added the above poll to make it easier, so you don't have to add comments if you don't want to. Thank you all in advance :)

Theodore likes this.
  2. *GG*

*GG*

Concord, NH
    If you have obstructive sleep apnea, perhaps you can have it prescribed and not have to go out of your way every so often to try it. I was on it for years with my vPAP machine, and seem to better than most on here.

GG

I am not sure that it helped, I would think so. I had a major crash in 2009, quit just changing one thing at a time, so cannot pin point what helped me.

Ellie_Finesse likes this.
  3. 5150

5150 Senior Member

Presume you are referring to (HBOT) Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy? not just an Oxygen boost from a tank, or a re-breather unit? I haven't done it, but some who have report short-term help. I don't know of anyone who had long-term relief, but maybe somebody will show up.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  4. Valb626

Valb626

My daughter, who had been seriously ill for 15 years, started using high-flow oxygen (10 L/min) through a rebreather mask for an hour/day in 2012. Improvement was slow, but her symptoms slowly resolved and she's now living a 95% normal life. HBOT, when it was available, also gave her a bump. But it was, and still is, the daily oxygen we believe put her into and is keeping her in remission.

Ellie_Finesse, Hanna and TiredSam like this.
  5. *GG*

*GG*

Concord, NH
    Hmm, not sure what my script was for, (5L/min?), but perhaps I will get another one. I know I have copies of the old script around some where. I was working, have Fibro as well. Remission would be awesome!

GG

6. Valb626

Valb626

Hers is the best response to daily high-flow that I've heard of "through the grapevine"/informally. I have always thought she'd have improved faster if she'd done regular HBOT, too. I have also wondered if the high-flow O2 has somehow "been enough" for her because of her relative youth (she was 25 when she started it). We have a friend who is older who did high-flow O2 for a long time with only minimal benefit. She has access to affordable HBOT now where she can go several times/week. The jury is still out, but she thinks she's starting to see some positive changes. Of course, with my daughter's experience, I always, always recommend it if someone asks. I know Cheney disagrees...but his approach didn't get my girl even close to where she is today. Good luck!

Ellie_Finesse and *GG* like this.
  7. *GG*

*GG*

Concord, NH
    Just breaking this up to make it easier to read. I wonder if some program language on this website could remind people to that? And also to post more descriptive titles, that is not in reference to this thread!

GG

Ellie_Finesse and Valb626 like this.
  8. Ellie_Finesse

Ellie_Finesse Senior Member

UK
    I was tested for sleep apnea recently and turned out I didn't have it. Although I do have some sort of sleep disorder which I think needs further investigation.

Tackling one thing at a time is what I am trying to do, but its hard taking the slower path. I tend to get extremely frustrated!

Yes thats it! I don't know anything about it or how it works, but from what I can gather, from what I did read on their website, you have to keep having the treatment for it to work.

I am glad it has helped your daughter, I am sorry she has been so poorly. I hope that the treatment continues to help her! Thank you for sharing your daughters experience, I will ceryainly give it a lot of consideration. :)

Valb626 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.