• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Have you had this realization?

cmt12

sorry, i don't know enough about monistic idealism to be able to explain the differences.
No problem. Monistic idealism says consciousness is fundamental; materialism says matter is fundamental.

Maybe I should restate in order to avoid a semantic or philosophical tangent: Is it possible to believe in life after death and also believe in materialism without contradicting yourself?

Let me get straight to the point, science and medicine approaches ME/CFS through a materialistic perspective via the scientific method. I just want to bring to the forefront the *potential* tension between this perspective and the idealistic perspective that many seem to unknowingly hold on this forum. I don't want to imply anything in this thread besides the potential for contradiction of holding an idealistic belief system and relying solely on the scientific method (materialism).

I don't want to imply anything in this thread besides the potential for contradiction of holding an idealistic belief system and relying solely on the scientific method (materialism).

No contradiction: Truth is multi-faceted and far more vast than the "ism"s you're bringing up. Energy and matter are different manifestations, but highlly interrelated, not mutually exclusive.