• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Have you had periods of being able to work?

Ambrosia_angel

If the job is manageable then your son won't need to lie about it in the interview. He also does not need to mention being ill until after a job offer and sometimes only to the occupational health nurse. The health condition does not need to be disclsed to his boss, just the adjustments that his boss needs to comply with. As I said before, some employers have great procedures in place. Some don't.

What country do you live in? In Uk there are various disability organisations that support people back to work and some local authorities provide this for young people too. They should help your son identify what kind of work is manageable and arrange work experience and should also be able to advise him of his rights at work.

One thing to be aware of is that government contractors whoose job it is to get people off benefits are results driven and tend to put people on courses to get an outcome rather than tailoring the advice. They can be helpful but be aware.
Like I said above I have to disagree. Imo this method won't work with retail and low skilled jobs that young people tend to work. If you disclose health issues that cause tiredness and weakness how can you they expect you to do a job that involves standing for 6+ hours. Occupational health/management may consider that a health hazard and withdraw the application. It's very different when you're applying for skilled work in a local office.

There aren't any adjustments in low skilled jobs. You have to either be able to do the job or not.

boombachi

Like I said above I have to disagree. Imo this method won't work with retail and low skilled jobs that young people tend to work. If you disclose health issues that cause tiredness and weakness how can you they expect you to do a job that involves standing for 6+ hours. Occupational health/management may consider that a health hazard and withdraw the application. It's very different when you're applying for skilled work in a local office.

There aren't any adjustments in low skilled jobs. You have to either be able to do the job or not.

If you can't do the job, why would you apply. I couldn't work in a restaurant. I could possibly work on a checkout and know others with cfs who have done so. In my experience supermarkets have good policies for supporting people with disabilities. A lot depends on the persons manager but having the policies in place puts an employee in a stronger position.

Applying for the right job is half the battle. I understand the restrictions are unfair. This illness is unfair.