• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Have You Had an EMG Test Done?

notmyself

i've done it twice in the last year..EMG and nerve conduction study..the results were normal in my case...it's good to rule out other muscle disorders like ALS,polymiositis(blood test for antibodies is better ) myasthenia gravis etc..for the pain you can try magnesium oil..it help me with my mild aches..i don't know if it will work for severe pain ..

Dechi

I’ve had two done. They’re not pleasant but I find the pain okay. Hopefully you will feel the same.

TrixieStix

I had an EMG and NCS both done in the past year and unfortunately the EMG done on my feet (to test nerve conduction down my legs) was quite painful. I don't say this to scare you only to let you know that for some folks it can very painful. I'm a big wuss and I made it thru it! My results were normal. Last month I had to go in for 2 skin punch biopsies to test for SFPN (small fiber peripheral neuropathy) which EMG & NCS cannot detect.

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
I had an EMG done many years ago. I don't remember which year but it was sometime during those first 1-2 years after I got sick in 1990 so probably 1992. For all I know the test has been modified since then so keep that in mind.

In my case EMG testing was done with small probes inserted into muscles in different areas. Some areas hurt a lot more than others. Testing on my hand and arm, little to no pain. Testing on my lower back, or on the top of my foot, lots of pain.

My suggestion is to ask the technician(?) (person who administers the EMG test) to give you some rest time between test areas. So, test your arm and then rest a bit, test your back, then rest a bit, etc.

I was lucky in having a very understanding person doing the test. He said that all the people who gave the test had to have it done on themselves first so they would know how it feels and so he understood that the could be painful for some people.

I also found this comment (source = https://teleemg.com/patient-forums/)
Can I ask for some pain medication?
Different labs have different policies about pain medication. Some physicians may recommend you take two Aspirins or Tylenols before the test. Others may mail you a prescription drug to take an hour before the test. Sometimes you may be given an injection prior to the test. It is common however, that no sedation is given in any form since in most instances, patients wish to return to work or other regular activity after the test is completed. Another reason for not giving sedation is that you should always have someone accompany you to drive you home after receiving sedation and this is not always easy to arrange.

Everyone is different so I'm hoping the test won't be painful for you. Best of luck!

I have one on Thursday. I plan to take some Xanax beforehand to keep my anxiety under control - I tend to wiggle a lot and (unintentionally) resist medical procedures when I'm stressed, so just staying calm and still through it all is my biggest worry. That, and getting there and back.