1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A disease with two faces? Re-naming ME/CFS
Persuasion Smith covers the bases on the misleading and disreputable name for our disease we've all been saddled with ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Have you developed new allergies since getting CFS?

Discussion in 'Immunological' started by Athene, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Athene

Athene Never give up

Italy
    I am wondering how many people have developed allergies, or new ones, since they first got CFS? If so, how many? and did you already have some allergies before, or none?
    Allergies crop up on here a lot, but I would really like to know what proportion of us do have them, and what proportion has developed them as part of the illness symptoms.

I don't remember having any allergies before I got ill, but now I have loads!
    I'm allergic to cats, oven cleaner and carpet cleaner (almost deadly allergies), dust mites, many types of pollen, tomatoes, gluten, dairy, yeast (very bad allergies), formaldehyde, and many other milder allergies.

2. Ocean

Ocean Senior Member

U.S.
    I've always had allergies but since getting sicker I've developed food allergies or intolerances that I never had before. I think for me it's more of an intolerance than an allergy to certain foods, but still they were foods I ate with no problem before and can no longer eat because of the after effects. I suppose it could be IBS too. I'm not sure.

3. Sparrow

Sparrow Senior Member

Canada
    Tons. I has NO known allergies before crashing, except that dry soap made me sneeze sometimes. :)

Now...
    Tons of food sensitivities (IgG reactions) - gluten, dairy, beans, garlic, and tons of others
    IgE full blown allergy to cow's milk and beef (who knew it was even possible to be allergic to cows??)
    Several drug allergies (hives)
    Extreme reactions to many other chemicals (memory foam, perfumes, etc.), and even small amounts of mildew, though I'm not sure I would call those allergies.

I also seem far less tolerant to any kind of foreign substance. I'm the canary in a coal mine in my house. Always know when there's anything off and have extreme reactions long before anyone else would notice.

4. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    No, I used to have bad IBS but have been on LDN for 2 years and recently realized that I don't have to use the bathroom as often, which makes my "bum" much happier!

GG

5. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I found this while trying to figure out what human albumin does in regards to homocysteine:

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=20549828

BSA = Bovine Serum Albumin
    CFS = Chronic Fatigue Syndrom
    MDD = Major Depression

6. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    The only thing I had issues with as a child and teen was hayfever. After I'd had ME for a while as an adult.. I developed MCS and many food intollerances and Ive also had several cases of all over hives. They are certainly related to the ME.

7. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    I had a sensitivity to perfumes and chemicals all my life. This is common in my family but I was the only one from my branch who had this.

It was not until I came down with ME that allergies really kicked in. I was completely well when it started as an acute overnight viral onset.

Then I got hay-fever, dust allergy and asthma badly and out of the blue. Food allergies as well (confirmed my blood and scratch tests in hospital).

8. u&iraok

u&iraok Senior Member

U.S.
    I've never had allergies and never developed any when I got CFS.

Sensitivities, yes--wheat, casein, chemicals.

See more popular forum discussions.