• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Have you developed new allergies since getting CFS?

Athene

ihateticks.me
I am wondering how many people have developed allergies, or new ones, since they first got CFS? If so, how many? and did you already have some allergies before, or none?
Allergies crop up on here a lot, but I would really like to know what proportion of us do have them, and what proportion has developed them as part of the illness symptoms.

I don't remember having any allergies before I got ill, but now I have loads!
I'm allergic to cats, oven cleaner and carpet cleaner (almost deadly allergies), dust mites, many types of pollen, tomatoes, gluten, dairy, yeast (very bad allergies), formaldehyde, and many other milder allergies.

Ocean

I've always had allergies but since getting sicker I've developed food allergies or intolerances that I never had before. I think for me it's more of an intolerance than an allergy to certain foods, but still they were foods I ate with no problem before and can no longer eat because of the after effects. I suppose it could be IBS too. I'm not sure.

Sparrow

Tons. I has NO known allergies before crashing, except that dry soap made me sneeze sometimes. :)

Now...
Tons of food sensitivities (IgG reactions) - gluten, dairy, beans, garlic, and tons of others
IgE full blown allergy to cow's milk and beef (who knew it was even possible to be allergic to cows??)
Several drug allergies (hives)
Extreme reactions to many other chemicals (memory foam, perfumes, etc.), and even small amounts of mildew, though I'm not sure I would call those allergies.

I also seem far less tolerant to any kind of foreign substance. I'm the canary in a coal mine in my house. Always know when there's anything off and have extreme reactions long before anyone else would notice.

*GG*

No, I used to have bad IBS but have been on LDN for 2 years and recently realized that I don't have to use the bathroom as often, which makes my "bum" much happier!

GG

Valentijn

(who knew it was even possible to be allergic to cows??)

I found this while trying to figure out what human albumin does in regards to homocysteine:

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=20549828

RESULTS: We found that the prevalence and mean values for the serum IgM levels directed against nitro-BSA were significantly greater in patients with partial CFS, CFS and MDD than in normal controls, and significantly greater in CFS than in those with partial CFS and MDD.

BSA = Bovine Serum Albumin
CFS = Chronic Fatigue Syndrom
MDD = Major Depression

DISCUSSION: The abovementioned results indicate that both CFS and MDD are accompanied by a) an increased gut permeability which has allowed an exaggerated passage of BSA through a compromised epithelial barrier; b) increased nitrosative stress which has induced damage to BSA; and c) an IgM-mediated immune response which is directed against the nitro-BSA neoepitopes.

taniaaust1

The only thing I had issues with as a child and teen was hayfever. After I'd had ME for a while as an adult.. I developed MCS and many food intollerances and Ive also had several cases of all over hives. They are certainly related to the ME.

ukxmrv

I had a sensitivity to perfumes and chemicals all my life. This is common in my family but I was the only one from my branch who had this.

It was not until I came down with ME that allergies really kicked in. I was completely well when it started as an acute overnight viral onset.

Then I got hay-fever, dust allergy and asthma badly and out of the blue. Food allergies as well (confirmed my blood and scratch tests in hospital).

u&iraok

I've never had allergies and never developed any when I got CFS.

Sensitivities, yes--wheat, casein, chemicals.