• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Have there been (or are in progress) studies on domestic animals owned by people with ME?

JES

I meant that (99%) are the humans to transmit ME animals .... although of course the reverse is possible, and how human animals transmit it to other animals ......

If you mean that some animals could go on to develop a CFS-like syndrome, sure, that could well be possible. But ME is a complex disease, so I'm not sure animal models are much useful. People don't use cats and dogs for performing medical lab experiments, so it's not useful either way. Almost all medical experiments are done on small animals like fruit flies and mice, and I'm sure something as complicated as ME cannot be explained in a mouse model.

You still state the 99% number without giving any evidence whatsoever. Dogs for example don't catch most of the human viruses at all, they catch special form of canine viruses (source), so there is no reason to think 99% of dogs get "infected" with the hypothetical ME virus from human.

TigerLilea

I was referring to the type of research focused demonstrating whether ME is a contagious disease or not .......... there are many reports of patients who reported symptoms of their animals that could suggest the ME (tiredness, listlessness, vulnerability to cold ...) .......
ME is not a contagious disease. If it were, there would be a lot more of us sick, especially close relatives and friends. And that just isn't the case.

@Gingergrrl, I meant that we humans send it to our pets .... through leftover food, dandruff, sofa, bed, etc. ....

@ 5150, I was referring to us humans ke pass the pathogen to animals (99%) ....
sorry to me to make animals suffer (all) species dogs and cats ..... but we must admit that it would be a great way to do research on ME, safe and fast;
I am convinced that this type of research would give excellent results in a short time,
after all, they often use animals in medical research.

@JES, Many pathogens affecting both animals and humans,
the story of the ME and the gradual expansion can reasonably think of an infectious disease.

@TigerLilea, It is almost impossible to have a clear diagnosis for us humans ... now it is unthinkable for animals ....
I'm glad for your current cat that has so much energy.

@halcyon, Thanks ...
Great! whatever brings this nightmare to an end , I AM IN !!

unto

I guess I was confused b/c I always hear of tick borne diseases from animals or bartonella from cats to humans etc, vs. the other way around.

I'm unclear what you would do? Do you mean the kind of animal research done by the drug and cosmetic companies or just blood tests looking for a bio-marker? Am just curious! Apologies if I do not reply until tomorrow.

humans are also animals ....... can contract and transmit to other species germs and diseases

I think of a search that should create groups of healthy animals sick animals and groups, I think for example to a litter of 6 dogs, 3 make them grow in a healthy environment and the other three try to make him contracting ME

The first step in the research is to determine whether it is infectious ME .......

Last edited:

Paralee

I read an article about sharing some diseases/illness....wish I could remember what it said more but it did mention MRSA. Sometimes I catch myself looking with suspicion at our dog about the calcium, but I think I'll get our water checked out first.:cautious:

unto

If you mean that some animals could go on to develop a CFS-like syndrome, sure, that could well be possible. But ME is a complex disease, so I'm not sure animal models are much useful. People don't use cats and dogs for performing medical lab experiments, so it's not useful either way. Almost all medical experiments are done on small animals like fruit flies and mice, and I'm sure something as complicated as ME cannot be explained in a mouse model.

You still state the 99% number without giving any evidence whatsoever. Dogs for example don't catch most of the human viruses at all, they catch special form of canine viruses (source), so there is no reason to think 99% of dogs get "infected" with the hypothetical ME virus from human.

there is nothing to show .... I wanted to say that (witnesses a dog being unlikely to have ME and seeing his master manifest the same symptoms) are humans ME sufferers who claim to see their dogs / cats with similar symptoms and believe him transmitted ME ......

science has also used dogs and monkeys for his experiments .......

my experience and that of many others is strongly suspect that ME is transmissible from human to dog / cat .........

unto

ME is not a contagious disease. If it were, there would be a lot more of us sick, especially close relatives and friends. And that just isn't the case.

the history of ME (many local epidemics, most cases in the same environment (family, friendship, work ..) the flu-like onset of ME, the continuous increase of cases is diagnosed in almost all countries of the world (global epidemic ) ...... if this is not the calling card of a contagious disease, is it?
unfortunately is very variable, in a family of 5 individuals, all might have ME contract, but only to one / a, It is a diagnosis of ME ......

In my experience, however, he tells me clearly that it is contagious.

Last edited:

Paralee

Sorry, wasn't aware we had to limit it to ME, I didn't read the thread title well enough. I can't seem to stay inside the box.

Gingergrrl

I think for example to a litter of 6 dogs, 3 make them grow in a healthy environment and the other three try to make him contracting ME

First, am not sure how this would be done since none of us can prove how we got CFS or even what CFS is... but even if it could be done, I could not condone purposely making half of each litter of dogs sick on purpose. That feels very unethical to me!

Sorry, wasn't aware we had to limit it to ME, I didn't read the thread title well enough. I can't seem to stay inside the box.

Don't worry @Paralee and I have done the same thing many times!

unto

First, am not sure how this would be done since none of us can prove how we got CFS or even what CFS is... but even if it could be done, I could not condone purposely making half of each litter of dogs sick on purpose. That feels very unethical to me!

precisely this research would serve to demonstrate that ME is contagious .........
Imagine the knowledge about the disease as it could scurry once established what .....

Last edited:

unto

@Gingergrrl,
now I think it could be seen as unethical
take a pet at home since there are many testimonies of people with ME who said they see similar symptoms in their animals .........

if you really love animals you should avoid him take that chance .....

as indeed we observe the prohibition to donate blood, in order to avoid a hypothetical contagion to other people ....

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

if you really love animals you should avoid him take that chance .....

I'm not sure if I am understanding you correctly but in case I am, I have had my dog for 11 years and she has never gotten sick from me and I have now been sick for four yrs. The weird thing though (sort of like what @Paralee mentioned above) is that I have a rare calcium autoantibody, and my dog entire up w/a parathyroid tumor that caused her calcium levels to get very high prior to surgery. I'm certain these two things are unrelated but still very strange!

Paralee

@Gingergrrl , would you mind posting or messaging me about the rare calcium antibody? I need all the clues I can get. :bang-head:

In case I haven't mentioned this I need to get my water checked. Our house was built in 1958 and it still have the copper pipes with possible lead in them. If it had been built in 1959, wouldn't probably had to worry about it.

Gingergrrl

@Gingergrrl , would you mind posting or messaging me about the rare calcium antibody? I need all the clues I can get. :bang-head:

I do not have any statistics on how rare it is but most of my doctors have said that I am the first patient they have ever seen with it and I belong to a private group for people w/the antibody (worldwide) and only about 40 people in the group. I am certain there are more people but they just have not been tested. It's called VGCC or voltage gated calcium channel autoantibody (and mine is the "N" type). Hope this helps.

Paralee

I do not have any statistics on how rare it is but most of my doctors have said that I am the first patient they have ever seen with it and I belong to a private group for people w/the antibody (worldwide) and only about 40 people in the group. I am certain there are more people but they just have not been tested. It's called VGCC or voltage gated calcium channel autoantibody (and mine is the "N" type). Hope this helps.

Yes, I'll put it on my list of questions, thank you.