Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Have the results of Dr Chia's ME/CFS interferon treatment actually proven enterovirus causes ME/CFS?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Hip, Apr 14, 2016.

1. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

PCR of blood is kind of pointless with enterovirus infections. In Chia's study above, they looked specifically in the white blood cell fraction. I imagine only your plasma was tested. It's really common to see false negatives with PCR of body fluids in long term enterovirus infections. This goes for ME and other enteroviral related diseases. The only people that are consistently viremic with detectable enterovirus are patients with hypogammaglobulinemia.

They claim that viferon doesn't lead to the same issue of triggering anti-IFN antibodies, perhaps due to being a suppository vs. injectable.

Sancar and Hip like this.
  2. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    How does one get an IgM enterovirus test then? I'm still not clear if there's a possibility ARUP is just showing past exposure and not an ongoing infection

Sancar likes this.
  3. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Yes, just exogenous interferon; your endogenous interferon is not generally at risk of triggering such antibodies, as far as I am aware; although there is an interesting disease called adult-onset immunodeficiency syndrome in which the body develops antibodies to its own endogenous interferon gamma, so I guess this happens sometimes.

I am not sure if these exogenous interferon antibodies will also target the endogenous interferon. If they did, that might start causing immune problems.

I don't know, but that approach sounds like a lot of tampering with the body.

You might be better off using interferon suppositories if you wanted to take interferon on a long term basis, as the link Halcyon provided above indicates this is resistant to developing autoantibodies.

See this post and this post for more info on cheap Russian interferon suppositories. Though remember Dr Chia says he finds interferon is ineffective against coxsackievirus B4. It works for other Coxsackie B viruses though.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  4. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

There aren't any commercially available IgM tests for coxsackie B or echovirus in the US as far as I know.

It can't definitively differentiate between the two. Clinically though if your blood still shows a neutralizing effect at ≥ 1:320 this is what is seen with active infections. Titers lower than this are probably showing immunity from past exposure.

5. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    Might using a prolonged course of interferon alpha (or the Russian suppositories) in conjunction with a different antiviral than ribivarin (such as Viread and/or Arbidol) have a better effect?

6. junkcrap50

junkcrap50 Senior Member

I don't have much to contribute, but found your thread very useful and interesting, @Hip.

... Does that really work? Dissolving water insoluble medicines in ethanol for better absorption?

7. Hip

Hip Senior Member

From what I have read online, yes, I think it will work. You can also use ethanol to dissolve other water-insoluble supplements like curcumin in order to get better absorption. Curcumin is insoluble in water, but dissolves in pure ethanol at 10 mg per ml.

Here is a study showing that curcumin dissolved in ethanol is better absorbed through the skin.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    Sancar and junkcrap50 like this.
  8. Steve4Andrea

Steve4Andrea

There is a long history of using ethanol extracts in folk medicine, often they fermented the compounds or made "wines".

It seems that current commercial medicines avoid the ethanol process because of poor storage and shelf life, it is easier to just increase the dose to make up for poor absorption. I have used "home made" ethanol extracts or solutions many times with no problems, usually the dose is small enough that the alcohol never creates a problem.

When looking at herbal research studies it is important to notice what solvent they use to prepare their compounds, if they use water (aqueous) then you should use water to replicate the results but if they use ethanol then a water extract or "raw" herbal may not work. I will add that sometimes heat can assist in the creation of extracts in less time.

In the US you can buy food grade 99% ethanol in a liquor store as "Everclear" and then dilute with water or juice after you dissolve your drug or herbal compound. I've never used transdermal absorption for anything but it should work well for the right compounds, it is all about getting the right stuff to the right place.

junkcrap50 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.