• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Have the bright ages of health already begun? (Example: Nanosphere)

Waverunner

In "the Dark Ages of Health" the point was made, that we currently lack diagnostic tests and treatment in order to handle all kind of pathogens, that use human bodies as their home.

The question was raised, how long it will take, in order to reach these diagnostic tests and treatments. At least for the former problem we are further ahead, than most people think.

There is a company called Nanosphere, which developed some very neat microbiology tests. What is really wonderful about these tests, is their high grade of sensitivity, specificity, speed (results within 3 hours), price (the test costs less than $100) and the best part, the respiratory virus test was FDA approved in 2011 and their bacteria test was approved by the FDA this year. Here is a small overview of what they can test for:

http://www.nanosphere.us/product/respiratory-virus-plus

n > 1000

Virus Sens.(%) Spec.(%)
Influenza Ab 100 100
Influenza A - H3 100 100
Influenza A - H1 100 99.9
Influenza A - 2009 H1N1 99.5 100
Influenza B 100 100

Their bacteria test seems to come close to what KDM does with R.E.D laboratories, the big difference is, that Nanosphere is FDA approved,much cheaper and includes more bacteria.

http://www.nanosphere.us/product/gram-positive-blood-cultures (FDA approved)

http://www.nanosphere.us/product/gram-negative-blood-culture (for research only)

My bigger hope however, is their Respiratory Virus XP test. It still is research based but includes testing for:

Influenza A
Flu A - H1
Flu A - H3
Flu A - 2009 H1N1
H275Y (Oseltamivir Resistance)
Influenza B
RSV A
RSV B
Parainfluenza 1
Parainfluenza 2
Parainfluenza 3
Parainfluenza 4
Human Metapneumovirus
Adenovirus (Species A - F)
Rhinovirus (Species A and B)/Enterovirus (Species A - D)

Especially the last (Adeno/Rhino/Entero) caught my attention because I would be very interested to test for them. In addition to this, I hope that they develop tests for EBV, HHV-6, HHV-7 etc..

In the end, diagnostics will become more sensitive, more specific, faster, cheaper and easier. Therefore they could open a path towards determining what role pathogens really play for humans and diseases (including CFS).

Waverunner

If anyone has access to these tests by Nanosphere, please let us know. These tests are fast, cheap, highly accurate, specific and sensitive, as well as FDA approved. Here is a new interview. In my eyes pathogens and infections play a role for CFS but current tests are either very expensive or not reliable or both.