• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

hasimoto's thyroid, normal treatment

jann1033

Went to endocrinologist today, she was going to treat me for hypothyroidism till I mentioned the bucket of water poured on my head like sweating i get so she's running the test over and mentioned I have huge swings in my tsh level she felt that could be" normal" for hashimotos but wondered about others experiences with it. I think/ wonder if it has flares like it seems every other stinkin system in my body does. Thanks for feedback

Ema

Yes, it is common for Hashi's to flare when the thyroid is under antibody attack.

TSH isn't the way to assess this though; did she measure your thyroid antibodies - specifically TgAB and TPO-Ab? This will tell you if you are in an active flare or not. Ultrasound of your thyroid?

There is good evidence for treating Hashi's with thyroid hormone even with a "normal" TSH though and clinical evidence has shown that it can help prevent the progression of the disease. Especially if you are having hyper flares...I would look for an endo that is more up on the current treatment of the disease.

jann1033

She's doing another microsomal antibody not tsh. She just commented my tsh previously charted were at the opposite end of the range. She was planning on treating it till I told her about the sweating. Autoimmune thyroid can be hyper or hypo, it would be kind of irresponsible to treat til she finds out which it is.

Ema

She's doing another microsomal antibody not tsh. She just commented my tsh previously charted were at the opposite end of the range. She was planning on treating it till I told her about the sweating. Autoimmune thyroid can be hyper or hypo, it would be kind of irresponsible to treat til she finds out which it is.
Actually, the treatment is the same - suppress your thyroid hormone and replace to stop the antibody attack.

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/hypothyroidism/a/hashivshypo.htm

Not sure why she'd need to do another TPO-Ab test if you're already positive...

jann1033

Your link deals with hypothyroidism.she wants to rule out hyperthyroidism before giving me thyroid medication since my tsh levels aren't consistent. Sounds prudent to me

Last edited:

Ema

Actually if you read it, if talks about how Hashi's flares can flip between hyper and hypo. That's totally normal; nothing to investigate once elevated antibody levels are established because the treatment is exactly the same.

jann1033

Yeah, in my first post I said she mentioned that. The treatment for graves disease isn't the same, according to all references I looked up.

brenda

I have found selenium to be very helpful for my Hashis. Also diet. My antibody level reduced with organic natural foods minus gluten and casein. It went back up again after eating too much seaweed ie iodine but hopefully it has gone back down. Hard to get regular checks on the NHS.