Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Has vitamin K-2 (mk-4 or mk7) helped you ?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Hanna, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Chocolove

Chocolove Tournament of the Phoenix - Rise Again

@Batter What exactly was it that you tried? I've been scoping out natto online.

2. realturbo

realturbo Senior Member

I've just taken delivery of this D2/K2 combination.

Each tablet contains Vitamin D3 5,000iu and Vitamin K2 (MK-7) 100mcg

Marc_NL and Chocolove like this.
  3. Chocolove

4. Chocolove

I got a kick out of the brand name!

[​IMG]

realturbo likes this.
  5. Chocolove

As a guinea pig, I must report that my test on the K-2 supplement was aborted after a week due to catching a cold.

6. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

I see a pattern here. Many people run into immnunity issues. Could this be an increased need for vitamin A and Zinc?

7. Chocolove

More likely I caught the cold because I went to the doctor's office and urgent care trying to get some testing done. Those places are full of super bugs.

While I was there the doc agreed to test my vitamin A&D levels and both came out in the normal range...finally. It took a whole lot of liver eating and D3 supplementation to achieve this. So the vitamin K2 did not deplete these two. I don't know where I was on the zinc. However I started doing zinc lozenges as soon as I realized I was probably catching a cold and that stopped the sore throat within 24. I am doing much better now taking the Wellness Formula. Thank you much for checking.

pattismith and Gondwanaland like this.
  8. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    On the 8th I took one 75 mcg Healthspan (supposedly a reputable brand) K2 (M-7), but I have been really weird since and hope it wears off. My eyesight has been even more dodgy than usual. It's a good thing I didn't take one a day! I decided that one every 7 days was enough to start with, and unless it was something else I don't want to take it again! I'm really not with it. I'm a vegan by the way, with cats (who aren't).

Not really with-it. Off my food.

9. Gondwanaland

Do you treat your nuts, seeds, grains, legumes to reduce phytates? The top most important nutrients for eye health are Zinc (poorly available from plants due to phytates) and vitamin A (not present in plants - conversion from carotenoids might be sub-optimal).

10. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    No, I don't, but I take multivitamins, and I've been vegan since 1983, so I don't expect to be short of anything.

My eyesight was fine until the last year (with glasses), I should have said. It's recently been getting worse, and I don't know if it's temporary or if I need to see an optician. My concentration has become very poor too, so I don't like going anywhere where I have to think.

11. Gondwanaland

This could be a zinc deficiency. I get it whenever I up my intake of plant protein despite eating plenty of animal protein daily. It seems pretty easy to inhibit Zinc absorption as we get older and sicker :(

12. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    I get 11 mg zinc from my main supplement, about 7-11 mg from my mineral supplement. That should be enough, surely.

I think the problem was with the supplement - a weird reaction that I've never had to a Healthspan supplement before to my memory.

I'm not risking any new supplements for a while - have been frighteningly ill.

Gondwanaland likes this.
  13. Chocolove

That sounds a whole lot like what I went through I thought I was covered on vitamin A with my supplements...
    so I long failed to look into vitamin A and suffered serious snowballing consequences.

But, check your vitamin bottle to see what the contents really are. You will probably find their vitamin A is actually carotene. That is not Vitamin A despite what the label says. Carotene converts very poorly, at about 3%, to vitamin A, or not even that. An estimated 45% of us do NOT convert carotene to vitamin A at all. I discovered that I'm one of those folks.

Vitamin A is required for vision. Liver is the major dietary source of it. Vitamin A is also the anti-infection vitamin...

Sorry to say but true vitamin A is not in plant foods. If you don't mind eating fish, you might try getting a quality cod liver oil...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    pattismith likes this.
  14. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    I do mind eating fish! So do most of the veggies and vegans in the world.

My vitamin A is described as beta-carotene and acetate. My eyesight has been fine for a very long time. Do you have a link for the info about poor converters?

15. Gondwanaland

16. Eastman

Eastman Senior Member

Not due to a hole in the retina, I hope.

Gondwanaland likes this.
  17. Gondwanaland

I think this has been posted before because I remember reading it and seeing that the person used the same brand as I did, which seems to be too potent/toxic. I tried a dose 3x larger from Thorne and noticed no benefits or side effects other than insomnia.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  18. Chocolove

@MeSci Frankly I very much agree. Further, I would also rather not eat plants which cannot scream, run or fight. (At least they have thorns and make chemical weapons for self defense.) Sadly I am not able to survive on minerals and water.

Asklipia likes this.
  19. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    I don't think so. I'm going to the doctor's on Monday so I will consult her. My eyesight seems to vary with time of day, so I don't think it's due to damage.

20. pattismith

pattismith Senior Member

it would be very attractive to take an "all in one" supplement for mitochondria support...

But if I look at this one, I like the vitamine E form chosen (tocopheryl succinate), but the level is very low (8.3 UI). I take myself 400 UI twice a day of it...
    At the same time, we know nothing about the form and level of the CoQ10 in this supplement, and it doesn't seem either a good idea to give CoQ10 and Vitamine E at the same time as it seems that there is a competition for absorption between the two :

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/ubiquinol-versus-ubiquinone-a-recent-article.55480/

realturbo likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.