Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Has taking a Fiber supplement helped you ?

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by Bansaw, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Bansaw

Bansaw Senior Member

I think there's not enough fiber in my diet. Has any of you found adding a Fiber supplement helpful?
    (Healthy flow in the gut = better gut health = better overall health...)
    ?
    If so, what did you try?

2. PennyIA

PennyIA Senior Member

Iowa
    Nope (tried four or five types) nor probiotics (tried about ten types). But, I don't have a slow flow... I struggle with frequent diarrhea; which I've repeatedly been told can be managed by adding fiber (only made it worse) then probiotics (only made it worse). I've been able to reduce it from 25+ times per month down to around 3-4 times per month with removing items from my diet that seem to contribute to it.

3. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member

S W England
    I buy a huge sack of Psillium and daily have 2-3 teaspoons in water followed by another glass ( you MUST drink plenty) It is effective and has no additives, sweetners etc and is quite cheap.

Having said that I am in the process of rebooting my diet and have cut out additives, sugar and wheat and have upped my veg intake and am 'going' at least once a day without Psillium most days . Always a bit blocked up due to the meds I take though...

4. JohnCB

JohnCB Immoderate

England
    My situation is that I used to have diarrhoea type IBS and I used to be prescribed Lomotil for that by the GP. Later on I was also prescribed Mebeverine for the spasms that went with the IBS. Over the years my pain levels increased and I was prescribed codeine. As my codeine levels were increased this made the Lomotil unnecessary, and as the codeine went up further I got constipation instead. Now the GP prescribes Fybogel (Ispaghula husk) but it is an over the counter product. This does a good job, I am on a single sachet per day and I am generally quite comfortable these days. It doesn't make any difference to my ME/CFS in any other way.

See more popular forum discussions.