• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has Stanford University found a cure for Alzheimer's disease?

anciendaze

@adreno and @heapsreal

While there are always problems with anecdotal evidence, I'll contribute my own -- from way back. I had read research papers about fluoxetine before it was approved, and was eager to try it. The first go-around was sheer horror: anxiety, anorexia, insomnia. I completely stopped eating, and nearly stopped sleeping. This was discontinued after a few days, simply to keep me alive.

A second trial started lower and slowly titrated up to "a minimum therapeutic level". I ground my teeth for three months before the doctor became convinced it was never going to benefit me. From this point on, I dropped the serotonin hypothesis. It took longer before I dropped the idea that depression => fatigue rather than fatigue => depression.

Your comments about norepinephrine puzzle me, because the only psychotropic medication I have been able to tolerate long-term is Pristiq (desvenlafaxine), an SNRI. The main point we seem to have in common is the idea of damaged feedback paths and increased sensitivity to medication.

I'm convinced that arguments based on levels of neurotransmitters are missing the point. I can't think of a way an infant nervous system could be calibrated to respond to changes in levels by themselves. Normal variations are surprisingly large, for example after a meal. (If you have had any experience with the problem of calibrating laboratory assays I think you will see the difficulty.) If I were designing a signalling system for such an environment it would be based on differential signalling, which depends on ratios of rates. You can actually find awareness of this in some advanced research publications, including old ones, but the bulk of medical researchers still plod along the familiar, if unproductive, path. They are herd animals who fear being singled out as different.

(Chemical engineers tend to be much more concerned about reaction kinetics, which can lead to explosions. These are very bad for careers, and may be personally dangerous. Doctors generally took only enough mathematics to collect the required merit badges, like boyscouts, and seldom have any awareness of nonlinear differential equations. If pressed on this issue, they will fall back on "long clinical experience", ignoring the possibility doctors have had experience making the same mistakes for quite a long time. I have a collection of stories from the history of medicine to indicate the profession is capable of making the same mistakes for centuries before they get around to such radical ideas as washing their hands.)

One lesson I learned from this experience, and a long list of previous uncontrolled experiments based on the idea I had "treatment-resistant depression", is that doctors really don't know what is going on inside patients, either in terms of psychological states or biochemical responses.

natasa778

If I were designing a signalling system for such an environment it would be based on differential signalling, which depends on ratios of rates. You can actually find awareness of this in some advanced research publications, including old ones, but the bulk of medical researchers still plod along the familiar, if unproductive, path.

What an interesting paper, thanks! It wouldn't be at all surprising if such fine-tuned amplification systems are messed up in chronic conditions such as ME, the only question being imo whether those are secondary/downstream consequences (systems getting confused, exhausted, giving up etc after a long period of trying to follow up and adjust), or are some disturbances in the ways biological feedback signals are amplified and controlled integral to disease pathology?

(I have been interested in calcium signalling in particular for a long time – here few bits to spike interest :) here here and here Or the proposed theory of CDR signalling being stuck in the ‘on’ mode also very interesting…

They are herd animals who fear being singled out as different. I have a collection of stories from the history of medicine to indicate the profession is capable of making the same mistakes for centuries before they get around to such radical ideas as washing their hands.)

:D

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
@anciendaze its alex's lemons and oranges rule, you have to suck it and see, some taste like oranges but there are alot of lemons.

I dont really like the idea of calling them antidepressants because i cant really say i have taken them for depression but more to try and improve neurological symptoms memory, brain fog and energy etc and hoping it helps with inflammation and neurogenesis.

I think when drs thinking they are treating a cfser for depression they try to increase the dose too high. Sometimes they just arent going to help some people. As long as we realise they arent the be all and end all.

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
This Standford study is most interesting.

People were discussing PGE2 and ME CFS and this Alzheimer's paper, so I'll focus on that but try to end up with a proposal for dementia or cognitive dysfunction a possible biomarker from PGE2:

Pratt & Brown, 2014 state in another paper:
''Eicosanoids, such as PGE2 and LTB4, are powerful regulators of inflammatory responses and thus may be important mediators of Lyme arthritis''.

I thought that was worth taking in, especially for the early onset arthritic ME sufferer as Almer et al (2002) propose that CSF PGE2 may be worthwhile as a way to test treatment effectiveness in ALS. NB: ALS is proposed 'controversially' by some to be caused by Borrelia (Lyme disease).

What does this have to do with ME CFS? Possibly nothing but potentially something, at least experimentally.

It appears if one is considering ME associated to some form of gram negative bacteria infection like Borrelia, that PGE2/VEGF/NF-KappaB may be potentially inflammatory biomarkers for ME inflammation. So it doesn't surprise me patients here report they have elevated PGE2. Mine is high too with an almost non existent PrPC (normal prion protein). I have no idea if the two correlate but could suggest that low brain PrPC is not a good thing to have. Naturally, blood markers are not CSF markers and that's important to remember when thinking about neurological affects/damage.

Still, theoretically some forms of ME CFS have the potential to increase rates of dementia as a long term outcome. In CFS research we are seeing pathological evidence now of brain atrophy (grey and white matter), a marker for neurodegeneration (Sorenson et al, 2014), the abnormal 'brain tract' MRI DTI paper (Dr. Michael Zeineh) and, of course the chronic memory problems patients report and 'brain fog'.

There appears to be no study data at all on older ME CFS patients, people sick for decades. Those who've been ill for a long time need to have to their cognitive function assessed, Fukuda/IOM CFS won't require that. With more pure biological CFS ME one could compare results of psychometric testing with when patients first got ill (or to younger newly diagnosed patients) and then associate this with neuroimaging evidence of any abnormalities detected.

That would be a useful study to measure or predict risk factors for cognitive decline, especially if in the future a Lyme like pathogen or DNA from parasites is found in ME CFS, spinal fluid that causes a brain autoimmune illness. For me I would like to see detection of a pathogen or DNA that inteferes with mitochondria. That would make a lot of sense in the ME 'exhausted' brain that runs out of batteries very quickly when used and can result in visible signs in the ME patient that cannot be 'simulated': Nystagmus, blepharospasmand facial palor.

If one is experiencing these symptoms, there is a potential reason why - pathalogical energy exhaustion and CNS irritation from dysfunctioning nerve cells.

The ME researcher Jonas Blomberg concluded in a 2013 paper, ''IgM to specific cross-reactive epitopes of human and microbial HSP60 occurs in a subset of ME, compatible with infection-induced autoimmunity''.

If you look at HSP60 then...

''Hsp60 is required for the assembly into oligomeric complexes of proteins imported into the mitochondrial matrix''
Ming.Y.Cheng et al, 1989.

''HSP60 has both immune-regulatory and inflammatory properties placing it as an essentially homeostatic antigen, but with potentially harmful effects as well''.
Coelho & Faria, 2012.

''HSP60 is a leptin-induced mitochondrial chaperone''.
Kleinridders et al, 2013.

Did someone say Leptin?

''Daily cytokine fluctuations, driven by leptin, are associated with fatigue severity in chronic fatigue syndrome: evidence of inflammatory pathology''.
...that's the 2013 Stanford paper with Montoya.

So the question is, could PGE2/EP2 be present as neuroinflammatory marker in ME CFS spinal fluid, and is this then associated with possible increased risk of dementia or mild cognitive impairment (pre-dementia) in ME, due to chronic low grade neuroinflammation drive by an autoimmune reaction to a pathogen, such as a bacteria or bacterial DNA that exhaust mitochondria?

There's a recent HD youtube video here of a talk of Lyme dementia if anyone's interested:

Last edited: