Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Has anyone whole Sophora root instead of oxymatrine for enterovirus related CFS?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Frustrated, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Frustrated

Frustrated

Oxymatrine is a compound that is extracted from a herb called sophora flavescens that is supposed to be antienteroviral and immune modulator which is the main ingredient to Dr Chia's equilibriant. Seeing as I live in the UK it's not possible for me to get equilibriant so I can't take pure oxymatrine. However I have found an chinese medicine practitioner who stocks the herb itself.

Could I get any benefit from taking the root in it's whole form seeing as it will still have oxymatrine in it, just not in the pure/extracted form?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  2. Hip

Hip Senior Member

You can certainly order Equilibrant from Dr Chia's website and have it delivered to the UK.

You can also buy:

Alternative Medicine Solutions oxymatrine capsules containing 300 mg of pure oxymatrine powder per capsule, which are available here: 1, 2, 3, 4.

White Tiger brand oxymatrine tablets, containing 200 mg oxymatrine per tablet, which can be found here: 1, 2, 3, 4.

If you want to use Sophora root instead, note that this contains 2% oxymatrine, so to get 200 mg of oxymatrine you'd need to take 10 grams of Sophora root (unless the root is a concentrated extract, eg, 5:1 extract, in which case it will contain a higher percentage).

People following Dr Chia's oxymatrine protocol usually slowly work up to taking around 6 x 200 mg oxymatrine tablets a day.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    Jennifer J and halcyon like this.
  3. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London
    It is one of the things in the Chinese herbs that I take. I think they have been helpful over the years.

Jennifer J likes this.
  4. Frustrated

Frustrated

How much do you take?

5. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London
  6. Frustrated

Frustrated

Do you eat the root after you boil it or do you just drink the water that you boil it in? I don't want to throw the root away after making the drink as I don't want to waste the oxymatrine

7. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London
    I boil the herbs for an hour and a half, drink the liquid over 2 days and throw away the herbs. That's the classic way of taking Chinese herbs.

8. Frustrated

Frustrated

Thanks for your help. I tried it for the first time last night and it made me feel really dizzy and funny, but I will persevere

9. JES

JES Senior Member

Yeah, the dizziness comes from some other ingredient of the herb and it seems to happen to most of us. If you want to avoid it, the Alternative Medicine Solutions brand that was mentioned in post #2 contains pure or at least purer Oxymatrine, which will not cause any dizziness in mine and others' experiences.

10. rosa

rosa

Hip likes this.
  11. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Dizziness can be problem with Sophora root / Ku Shen. As JES mentions, an ingredient in the herb (probably matrine) causes dizziness.

Yes, I've bought many herbs from Bristol Botanicals, they are quite good, and they have a lot of concentrated extracts. In this case they sell a 5:1 Sophora concentrated extract. The 5:1 just means that it contains 5 times the amount of active ingredients compared to the natural herb (so if the natural Sophora root contains 2% oxymatrine, the 5:1 extract will contain 10% oxymatrine).

rosa likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.