1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Has anyone who has taken Valcyte developed cancer?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by abstractblue, Dec 1, 2011.

1. abstractblue

abstractblue

I took Valcyte back in 2008 for around two weeks. I don't recall the exact dosage, but I think it was 900mg a day. Whatever the "Montoya Protocol" was at the time. I kind of regret doing it, because I can't say that I felt much of a difference after taking it. Ever since taking the medicine I've been afraid of developing cancer. There isn't a lot of specific information out there about the relationship between taking Valcyte and developing cancer, just the "valcyte may cause cancer" that all of the drug websites have. So, does anyone know of someone who took Valcyte and developed cancer afterwards? I'm actually experiencing a lot of bone pain right now and I'm concerned that it might be a sign of bone cancer or something similar. I'm probably overreacting, but Valcyte has made me worry about this sort of thing.

2. Hope123

Hope123 Senior Member

If I remember right, the cancer risk related to Valcyte was from studies in mice who took higher doses and the cancer developed in tissues that did not have an analagous component in humans.

Also, just to clarify, there are studies out there on people who took Valcyte and have a history of cancer/ organ transplant, etc. but this is because their cancer/ transplant, etc. treatment put them at higher risk for herpes virus infections and some ended up on Valcyte to take care of the infections. That is, they had cancer before the valcyte and not after.

There are risks to any drugs but I doubt that two weeks would put you at higher risk for cancer. However, there are some studies/ reports in the past that suggest just having ME/CFS might put you at a higher risk for lymphoma than the general population so even if you encounter people with ME/CFS who have cancer that took Valcyte, it might not be the valctye.

NK17 likes this.
  3. aquariusgirl

aquariusgirl Senior Member

I heard from a woman, who said she used to work for Roche Pharmaceuticals, that there was a correlation between AIDS patients who took Valcyte & bone & blood cancers. Purely anecdotal so make of it what you will. So you may want to check with HIV/AIDs groups. (This woman has passed on sadly.....so there is no more information to be had there.)

MoJoey was saying something about how Valcyte shuts down a DNA/RNA pathway....so maybe there's a clue there?

FWIW.

4. chili

chili

Prior to my taking Valcyte for 5 months, I did some research on Valcyte in humans and this is what I found. There is a study which specifically looked for cancer in 9-14 year olds who were given ganciclovir as neonates. The trial can be found here:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00031421?term=NCT00031421&rank=1

A second study showed that the use of Valcyte reduced the risk of cancer in kidney transplant patients:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/8455.php#opinions

Good luck,

chili

5. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    I, too, doubt that 2 weeks on Valcyte has put you at significantly higher risk of cancer. However, if you are concerned that your bone pain may be bone cancer, I suggest you get tested as soon as possible. It's better than worrying. :D

NK17 likes this.
  6. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Maybe having these viruses is making one prone to cancer not the antivirals, av's maybe a coincidence. Dr Peterson has found higher rates of cancer in the lake tahoe outbreak of cfs, that was pre valcyte for cfs. Dammed if you do and dammed if you dont???

good luck.

NK17 likes this.
  7. undcvr

undcvr Senior Member

NYC
    Whoopee i hv been on Valcyte for a year now ? Screw on me ?

8. OnlyInDreams

OnlyInDreams

Southern USA
    I don't think that there have been any reports of anyone acquiring cancer as a direct result of taking Valcyte. Only in Mice during lab tests.

9. charityfundraiser

charityfundraiser Senior Member

I remember Dr. Montoya saying something to that effect and similar rumors on message boards. The actual drug information sheet says both of those statements are false. Yet another thing I have realized only later harmful about his treatment and interaction with patients. Also receiving the same dosage as patients twice my weight (the average American).

http://www.roche-australia.com/fmfiles/re7229005/downloads/anti-virals/valcyte-pi.pdf

"Toxicity in mice, dogs and rats was primarily characterised by testicular atrophy. Male infertility occurred at doses of 2 mg/kg/day and above which was consistent with the infertility and testicular atrophy seen in toxicity studies with doses between 2 and 10 mg/kg/day. In females, a more complex range of effects were induced which were characterised by embryo-foetal abnormalities and embryo-foetal losses in mice and rabbits and in multi-dose studies, by toxic and eventually carcinogenic changes to the reproductive system in mice.

Ganciclovir was carcinogenic in the mouse after oral doses of 20 mg/kg/day for 18 months and 1000 mg/kg/day for 15 months. All ganciclovir-induced tumours were of haematopoietic epithelial or vascular origin. Epithelial tumours involved a wide variety of tissues, including the female reproductive organs, pancreas, gastrointestinal tract and skin, as well as rodent specific glands (perputial, clitoral and Harderian). Vascular tumours were observed in females, mainly in the reproductive organs, but also in the mesenteric lymph nodes and liver. No carcinogenic effects occurred at 1 mg/kg/day. Based on data on plasma drug concentrations, exposure of humans to ganciclovir would be similar to or greater than the exposure of mice in the above study at 1000 mg/kg/day. This potential is likely to be markedly greater in children, as cell division occurs more rapidly in children."

10. satoshikasumi

satoshikasumi Senior Member

Just pointing out that EBV infection is pretty strongly associated with certain cancers, i.e. lymphomas. There may be more evidence that herpesviruses cause cancer than valcyte causing cancer. However, it has not been proved convincingly that taking antivirals reduces the risk of cancer. Valcyte clearly has some toxic effects other than cancer, but many patients do not have adverse effects.

NK17 likes this.
  11. charityfundraiser

charityfundraiser Senior Member

I remember Dr. Montoya mentioned that one patient dropped out of the clinical trial to get treated for cancer but that it was unrelated to the trial, but did not say how they determined it was unrelated. Does anyone know more about this?

12. mtnbibliophile

mtnbibliophile

abstractblue, I hope your bone pain was due to something less dire than cancer, but in response to your original question, I took Valcyte for 6 months and later developed cancer. Four years later my longstanding problem with precancerous cells in my cervix worsened to the point where I needed a complete hysterectomy, and three years after that I developed a rare form of leukemia.
    However, I strongly suspect the cancers are a result of the CFS and other factors rather than the Valcyte. I doubt that two weeks of Valcyte would put you at risk (and likewise, two weeks was not long enough for the Valcyte to have any positive effects either).

13. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

Personally, I'm willing to take the risk, because of what other people have noted above. EBV causes cancer; we already know that. I am completely sedentary and can't eat very well. My quality of life is pretty low. There is no cure for what I have, yet people have been cured of cancer.

RUkiddingME and NK17 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.