Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Has anyone used Ozone to kill mold in a home?

Discussion in 'Addressing Biotoxin, Chemical & Food Sensitivities' started by Gingergrrl, May 10, 2015.

  1. Gingergrrl

    Gingergrrl Senior Member

    Messages:
    10,212
    Likes:
    29,208
    USA
    Was wondering if anyone has or knows how to properly use Ozone to remediate mold in a home?

    I would be very interested to hear any and all experiences- good or bad- and extremely grateful for the info or any links.

    Thank you in advance!
     
    Misfit Toy likes this.
  2. Misfit Toy

    Misfit Toy Senior Member

    Messages:
    3,585
    Likes:
    8,108
    USA
    Yes! When I lived in San Francisco, I saw a man named Dr. Morinkovich. he dealt with mold, btw. he felt that I had it growing throughout my body and put me on several yeast meds.

    He wanted me to rent an ozone machine for the house I was in. I did and I loved it. You are not supposed to be in the house while it is on. I was and I felt like I felt better with it in the house.

    I also rented one while living here when my mom painted her house because I couldn't take the chemicals.

    Do it, GG.
     
    Gingergrrl likes this.
  3. Gingergrrl

    Gingergrrl Senior Member

    Messages:
    10,212
    Likes:
    29,208
    USA
    @Misfit Toy I Googled the doctor you mentioned and it said he passed away in 2007 :cry:. He sounded great and highly regarded as a mold expert. I am trying to find a mold specialist in LA or So. CA but so far no luck. My ND knows a little about it but she is out of town until the middle of next week. Do you know any good websites re: using Ozone to kill mold on your belongings?
     
    Misfit Toy likes this.
  4. Revel

    Revel Senior Member

    Messages:
    432
    Likes:
    2,558
    charlie1, Gingergrrl and zzz like this.
  5. taniaaust1

    taniaaust1 Senior Member

    Messages:
    11,961
    Likes:
    12,891
    Sth Australia
    I looked into this at my last home which had severe mold issues. I was shocked though when I found out how hugely expensive it was to get my house ozone treated (I didn't know a place to rent these). I cant remember the exact amount of having an expert to come out to treat my house was now but it was going to be over $1000 to have it properly done (it may of been something more like $1600-$1800). So anyway, I just at that point decided I would certainly be moving out.
     
    Gingergrrl likes this.
  6. Misfit Toy

    Misfit Toy Senior Member

    Messages:
    3,585
    Likes:
    8,108
    USA
    When I rented one it was I believe $75 -that was back in 2003. I don't know any good websites. I just followed what he said. It was so long ago and I haven't needed one since, thank God.

    I am not sure about how it would effect clothes. I think once mold is enclose it remains in clothes. I could be wrong. Anyone I've ever known who's had some sort of mold exposure has had to literally throw everything out.

    I would not throw out everything. But I know people who do.

    Are you feeling better at your parents at all? I am not sure how you are doing with foods.
     
    justy and Gingergrrl like this.
  7. Gingergrrl

    Gingergrrl Senior Member

    Messages:
    10,212
    Likes:
    29,208
    USA
    I've been researching this all day and it appears the top mold experts do not endorse Ozone and say it is too dangerous. The level high enough to kill mold is harmful to human lungs and the level low enough to be safe does not kill mold. Even Dr. Shoemakers site is against it so I guess this is out for us. I really don't know what we are going to do.
     
    Valentijn likes this.
  8. justy

    justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

    Messages:
    5,355
    Likes:
    12,228
    U.K
    Sorry for all you problems and losses Ginger. Hoping you feel a little better. xxxx
     
  9. taniaaust1

    taniaaust1 Senior Member

    Messages:
    11,961
    Likes:
    12,891
    Sth Australia
    The mold expert I spoke too give me the impression that the ozone would kill it on everything in the house. (one wasn't able to stay in the house at all while this was being done, it was far too dangerous. I would of had to go and stay overnight elsewhere).

    ..................


    Its probably why Shoemakers site is against it, its very dangerous. Misfit Toy herself if im remembering right, said herself she stayed in the house. Either it wasn't done properly, low amounts or she put herself at a huge risk doing that.
     
    Last edited: May 12, 2015
  10. Misfit Toy

    Misfit Toy Senior Member

    Messages:
    3,585
    Likes:
    8,108
    USA
    @taniaaust1 -it was a huge house in San Fran. I put the ozone machine down where the basement is...that's where my room was. I would walk down there, but didn't stay down there. I never felt sick from ozone. But, I am sure it's possible. Maybe it was killing the mold I had on me, too!
     
  11. Sushi

    Sushi Moderation Resource Albuquerque

    Messages:
    14,796
    Likes:
    22,480
    Albuquerque
    You don't go near your home while ozone is being used or until it has dissipated.

    Sushi
     
  12. cigana

    cigana Senior Member

    Messages:
    989
    Likes:
    816
    UK
    I used a machine to do this, no idea if it was successful though.
    I didn't get ill from the ozone.
     
  13. leela

    leela Slow But Hopeful

    Messages:
    3,222
    Likes:
    7,234
    Couchland, USA
    I wouldn't say ozone alone is a proper remediation. You have to find the source of the mold and safely remove it, which can be costly.

    That said, I bought a high level (shock treatment level) machine for $400 many years ago. It has saved my arse many times! I use it on questionable stuff, my car, and have also treated whole rooms with great success. It is not certain whether or not it denatures the mycotoxins released from the mold it kills--some say yes, some say no--I just know I feel better after I do it. Also, it cannot penetrate walls and such, so anything you are trying to treat must be exposed.

    The caveats are: people, pets and plants must be removed during treatment.
    I can breathe it fine for a minute of two when entering/leaving the area, but people with asthma probably want to avoid that.
    Since 03 is heavier than 02, it grabs stuff and drops it to the floor and other surfaces. You must vaccuum/wipe down after. I admit I don't always have the energy to do that, but it is best.

    I have stayed in the house with it running overnight in another room with the door to that room taped shut with duct tape. Again, don't do this with small children, pets, (especially birds) or people with respiratory issues. I can smell it going in the sealed room, but it doesn't bother me.

    You must run it for long enough for your cubic footage, there are charts online I think. I tend to try for at least 8-12 hours for a medium-sized room. It is recommended to not run it for more than 24 hours without giving it a breather in between.

    Latex will break down with this level of ozone, and soft rubbery things will get sticky (but not necessarily ruined.) I have destroyed clothing that has elastic threads in it when i forgot to remove them from the closet I was treating.

    Bonus: if you have any pests they will flee.

    Instructions would come with a good machine, but basically you need to leave a window cracked with a fan nearby, because you need a fresh supply of 02 to make 03. It's a bit of an ordeal, but not that bad, and for me has been totally worth it.

    To treat individual items I tape a contractor bag onto the end of the machine .
     
    Sushi likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.

Share This Page