• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone tried Provigil/Modanifil?

cb2

i experiment with different meds too. I took some low dose of nuvigil for a while, i think i got the first month free and was using only a 1/4 of the tablet so it lasted a while..if you check the website you may find out if they still have that first month free offer- i am now using low dose of pro-vigil.. the challenge is as you were saying to learning the fine line of doing body movement along with what needs to be done without over doing it. i try not to take it all the time,but when i do i find i can get more done and that is a nice feeling, and then i want to take it again the next day.. so i am still experimenting.. recently new landlords were coming for a walk through inspection and the provigil really helped me for a few days before to get some cleaning and organizing done- now time to go off it again. it does seem to help my mood a bit. keep us posted!

charlie1

When my PEM started to become more intense and more frequent, a friend who uses Modafinil for narcolepsy offered to let me try some. I'm now wishing I took her up on that offer /bc since POTS recently made a surprise return, I'm not sure if the Modafinil would be contraindicated. What do you all think of taking it for CFS symptoms while also having POTS?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
When my PEM started to become more intense and more frequent, a friend who uses Modafinil for narcolepsy offered to let me try some. I'm now wishing I took her up on that offer /bc since POTS recently made a surprise return, I'm not sure if the Modafinil would be contraindicated. What do you all think of taking it for CFS symptoms while also having POTS?

If you have hypotensive pots it could help by increasing bp some. Experimental trial is only way to know .

charlie1

@heapsreal My bp has always been chronically low but since supplementing with DHEA & T4 and daily wearing compression clothing, it's often closer to normal range now :)

found that Provigil made a major improvement in my energy level and quality of life during the 8 1/2 years that I was able to take it. I definitely think it's worth a try for most people, especially if you start at a small dose. Unlike stimulants such as amphetamines, Provigil helps increase the production of ATP in mitochondria, so it does give you some extra "real" energy to work with.

I think I will cut the 100 mg Modafinil tablet in 1/4 pieces and up the dosage slowly if need be. I'll take a 1/4 tablet with breakfast and hopefully soon I'll feel more energetic ('real' energy) without risking a PEM episode.

heapsreal

@heapsreal My bp has always been chronthe ically low but since supplementDHEA & T4 and daily wearing compression clothing, it's often closer to normal range now :)

I think I will cut the 100 mg Modafinil tablet in 1/4 pieces and up the dosage slowly if need be. I'll take a 1/4 tablet with breakfast and hopefully soon I'll feel more energetic ('real' energy) without risking a PEM episode.

sounds like a good move. Start low and judge the
effects which can be subtle but very helpful all the same. Keep us posted. Im not sure u wont risk pem as still have to be aware of your boundaries.

cheers

cb2

has anyone noticed building up a tolerance and needing more? sometimes i take it and it seems to make me sleepy- that is when i wonder, "am i needing more?"

heapsreal

has anyone noticed building up a tolerance and needing more? sometimes i take it and it seems to make me sleepy- that is when i wonder, "am i needing more?"

There is a tolerance to it so good to use intermittently and or take long breaks from it. Dose can be increased to overcome tolerance but tolerance will eventually occurr again.

charlie1

good to use intermittently and or take long breaks from it.
That's good to know. Perhaps I'll try the 1/4 dose for a week and then stop to see if I had benefited at all. Sometimes I think something isn't making much of a difference....until I stop it!
I was hoping to take the modafinil daily to greatly reduce/eliminate PEM but maybe that's magical thinking. It's seems to accomplish this will not be as easy as just popping a pill :( I guess it'll mean working at better pacing with the help of my HR watch and instead use the modafinil for days where I definitely need more energy...company over, planned activities, appointment days etc.

charlie1

at what dose are you noticing that and do you take it in the morning?

heapsreal

That's good to know. Perhaps I'll try the 1/4 dose for a week and then stop to seestamina ad benefited at all. Sacetycarnitine think something isn'tsimilar much of a difference....until I stop it!
I was hoping to take the modafinil daily to greatly reduce/eliminate PEM but maybe that's magical thinking. It's seems to accomplish this will not be as easy as just popping a pill :( I guess it'll mean working at better pacing with the help of my HR watch and instead use the modafinil for days where I definitely need more energy...company over, planned activities, appointment days etc.

Days when u need a boost thats time to take modafinil. Should notice effects the first day with increase in mental clarity and stamina. Maybe adding q10 and acet carnitine could be synergistic similar to the kpax trial.

zzz

In my experience, although there is definitely a tolerance effect with Provigil, as with many drugs, it's not a full tolerance. That is, once a certain dose is reached, some benefits of Provigil continue. This is the same reason why many people can take a fixed dose of Klonopin for years and still have it be beneficial, even though tolerance to benzodiazepines can develop quickly.

On the other hand, if taken only occasionally, as @heapsreal notes, a given dose of Provigil has its greatest effect.

For me, I took a fixed dose daily, and took a little extra on those days where I needed a bit extra. This worked out very well.

Due to my current medication regime, I am beginning to be able to tolerate a small dose of Provigil again. First, I want to titrate up my Valcyte a bit, since it's more important. Interestingly, when Valcyte works, I find that it gives many of the same benefits of Provigil, which leads me to suspect that the two drugs have some mechanisms in common.

charlie1

Due to my current medication regime, I am beginning to be able to tolerate a small dose of Provigil again
why did you go off the monafidil? Was it not working for you anymore?
Maybe adding q10 and acet carnitine could be synergistic similar to the kpax trial.
I tried the KPAX Energy (caffeine used, not ritalin) at 1/4 dose for about a month. I was interested in the 3 amino acid ingredients more than anything. I thought it may have made a difference but not enough to miss it when I d/c it (along with a few other supplements) due to being quite ill with a return of POTS. I'm now ready to introduce things again but this time will not use the K-PAX energy formula (don't want both caffeine and modafinil),and instead I'll begin my day with the CoQ10, Magnesium Citrate and the Modafinil.

heapsreal

why did you go off the monafidil? Was it not working for you anymore?

I tried the KPAX Energy (caffeine used, not ritalin) at 1/4 dose for about a month. I was interested in the 3 amino acid ingredients more than anything. I thought it may have made a difference but not enough to miss it when I d/c it (along with a few other supplements) due to being quite ill with a return of POTS. I'm now ready to introduce things again but this time will not use the K-PAX energy formula (don't want both caffeine and modafinil),and instead I'll begin my day with the CoQ10, Magnesium Citrate and the Modafinil.

I think it would be alot cheaper and just as effective to use individual doses of q10 etc then using kpax.

charlie1

@zzz I found the answer as to why you went off the modafinil although I don't understand it!
"My central sensitivity hit my NT factor at the same time, and took that out too. Ouch! That was a double whammy, since NT factor was the second best natural energy supplement I was taking. It helped raise my energy level above what Provigil alone could, without causing insomnia."
What do you mean by 'my central sensitivity'
What is NT factor?
First, I want to titrate up my Valcyte a bit, since it's more important. Interestingly, when Valcyte works, I find that it gives many of the same benefits of Provigil, which leads me to suspect that the two drugs have some mechanisms in common.
All the best with that!! Hoping you enjoy better health soon that will allow you to be out and about again! :)

I think it would be alot cheaper and just as effective to use individual doses of q10 etc then using kpax.
I bought the Kpax 'trial kit' @ Xmas and I may end up using the left over of it + CoQ10 if the modafinil isn't successful but I wasn't planning on buying any more Kpax.

heapsreal

Also i think if in a crash these things just dont work. All that one can do is rest and sleep, wait it out.

when your body shuts down during a crash, u cant start it up with stimulants, it just doesnt work. Rest rest rest

charlie1

when your body shuts down during a crash, u cant start it up with stimulants, it just doesnt work. Rest rest rest
Yes, so true. I'm out of my PEM crash but wondering how the modafini will affect my recent return of POTS - hope it doesn't make it worse!!

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Provigil destroyed my life by greatly encouraging my decline into CFS. I took it for 6 years and it allowed me to exceed my limits without fatigue or crashing...followed byba 4 year (and counting) crash