• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone tried Fluconazole? - while tested negative to Candida for gut problems?

I have constipation, and general bad intestinal pain with severe IBS.
I have been tested clear for Candida on a conventional and alternative test.

I want to take Fluconazole. I was given it by an alternative doctor.

Has anyone tried this or another anti fungal medication even while testing negative for Candida?
Thanks

South

Is the reason you wish to take it that you suspect candida, even though candida didn't show up on your tests? Or is there some other reason you would like to take it?

If your reason is suspecting candida, there's some evidence that berberine may act synergistically with fluconazole, killing candida better than just fluconazole alone. Berberine is found in the herb Goldenseal.
Here's a couple links:

http://aac.asm.org/content/50/3/1096.full
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24060867

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Better get Berberine isolated in a supplement and add a good probiotic to fight candida, inflammation and repopulate what Berberine and Fluconazole will destroy. Plus most likely you have leaky gut (candida causes it and many CFSers show intestinal permeability when tested) so that will need attention too.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I swear by Thorne SF722 along with a probiotic if you can find one you can take. They totally constipate me. If you are just constipated, try Acacia Fiber. I don't miss a day and without it I would never go because of my IBS-C. It also helps IBS-D and A.

Try this link for IBS diet help.

http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/?gclid=CLrPgajLzrsCFStBQgodblMAhA

I also swear by this.

http://www.iherb.com/Heather-s-Tumm...lc=en-US&w=heather's tummy&rc=10&sr=null&ic=1

If you want to pursue the Candida aspect I used this protocol.

http://candidarecovery.com

Is the reason you wish to take it that you suspect candida, even though candida didn't show up on your tests? Or is there some other reason you would like to take it?

If your reason is suspecting candida, there's some evidence that berberine may act synergistically with fluconazole, killing candida better than just fluconazole alone. Berberine is found in the herb Goldenseal.

I read of someone here on the board who's test was negative for candida. They still tried an antifungal and had a massive improvement in their gut problems. I really want to find them or hear of others like them.

Acacia Fibre will not help me. I tried all the other types of fiber and bulking agents and they never help. I get help from high dose vitamin C, raw camel milk , my limited diet or drugs that stimulate motility chemically like cascara sagrada.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Eat a tablespoon of peanut butter. If you cramp you have candida.

Still look at the diet. There are ways to help yourself.

I forgot to say. I mainly want to try fluconazole for gut problems but it would be great if it would work for other things.

It was really weird, but a few months back I went to an alternative doctor in Jerusalem. He claimed that "CFS" was caused by an overactive immune system.

He claimed to successfully treat it with injections.
He first injected me with dead antibodies of Epstein Barr virus in one arm and Candida in the other arm. Both my arms swelled up, particularly the the arm with Candida injected in it.
He then gave me the fluconazole and gave me some injections to give myself agains Candida and Epstein barr. I thought it was dodgy and risky.
I was too scared to inject myself but I kept the fluconazole.
I just want to hear opinions on taking fluconazole or any anti fungal... I want to be certain I'm not doing anything stupid.

Thank you everyone. I will look into Berbarine at least. That's a great tip.

It seems strange that no one has tried a prescription drug for antifungals.

Last edited:

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I do get a stomach ache when I take a tablespoon of peanut butter.
No wonder, nuts are inflammatory as hell. It doesn´t mean you have candida, it just means you have an inflammed/inflammatory intestine. By the way, that SF772 really has a good reputation in the candida forums.

No wonder, nuts are inflammatory as hell. It doesn´t mean you have candida, it just means you have an inflammed/inflammatory intestine. By the way, that SF772 really has a good reputation in the candida forums.

Thank you. I think I will delay taking the anti-fungal until I have tried an researched other things. I never heard of the SF772 before this thread.

sianrecovery

I've done a number of courses of flucon, experienced initial herx and seen some improvement in symptoms. It's hard on the liver - if you are on it longer than a month, you are meant to get a liver function test. Nystatin is another antifungal I've used, though there is a lot of resistance to it now - it doesn't have the same liver impact. Also had ketonazole (cuse spelling). All three did a temporary job. I won't list all the herbals I've used. While none has 'cured' me, I think an antifungal strategy has helped.