1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Has anyone tried EECP (Enhanced External Counter Pulsation)

Discussion in 'Autonomic, Cardiovascular, and Respiratory' started by Gingergrrl, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Community Support Volunteer

USA
    I read in an old post on this forum that Dr. Derek Enlander's office in NY does EECP treatments for CFS. I had never in my life heard of this modality and it sounds very promising. I found a few threads on PR from 2010-2012 in which two PWC's said it helped them dramatically.

I was wondering if anyone else (since 2012) has tried this treatment either with Dr. Enlander or elsewhere in the U.S. or world? I am in L.A. so it is not an option for me to fly to NY but I did some research and there is a center literally five min from me that provides this treatment. Is was designed for angina (not CFS) but is now used to treat a wide variety of conditions.

They said I can do a free consultation and try the treatment (as it is not dangerous) and then get a referral from my doctor if I want to do the full protocol of 35 sessions. I am not sure what my cardiologist will say to this and will also ask my ND.

My fatigue and cardiac symptoms have deteriorated this weekend to the point that I am desperate to try anything that can help me. Any info/thoughts on this treatment would be really appreciated. I know it is not a cure but I will take any improvement that I can get at this point.

2. Gingergrrl

USA
    @Sushi, Could this post be moved to another section where more people might see it? I am really curious to know if anyone on the board knows about EECP before my appt on Thurs. Thanks so much!

3. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I moved it to "Autonomic, Cardiovascular and Respiratory."

I can comment, but not from personal experience. This was a treatment that was used a great deal more before they perfected cardiac bypass surgery--it was said to help the body create more blood vessels so the blood flow had choices other than blocked arteries.

I don't know of it being used for ME, but if Dr. Enlander has been using it, perhaps it has. Once bypass surgery became common, this technique seemed to go into the "alternative" category.

Sushi

4. Gingergrrl

USA
    @Sushi thank you for moving this post!

I have been researching this treatment as a result of the pioneering work done by Dr Enlander on EECP for CFS and watched some videos on his website. I am on the west coast so not an option for me to see him but I am going to try it here. I will let you guys know how it goes w/my consult on Thurs. I doubt insurance will pay anything for it but what else is new?

Sushi likes this.
  5. Gingergrrl

USA
    @Sushi I wanted to give a quick update that I postponed my appt for the EECP b/c I have questions re: whether I am a good candidate due to my tachycardia, etc.

I was able to schedule a phone consult for next week with Dr Enlander so I can discuss it with him (since he is the one who started using this Tx off label for CFS patients.)

If he feels I am a good candidate then I will re-schedule for July which also gives me time to discuss w/my cardiologist.

Sushi likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.