Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Has anyone tried a garlic free diet?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Kimsie, May 24, 2016.

1. Kimsie

Kimsie Senior Member

Has anyone tried garlic free (0 garlic) for at least 3 weeks? This means checking processed food labels because garlic is in a lot of processed foods. (edit: Actually after a bit of checking, this means NO processed foods because they don't have to list garlic on the label and it can be in "natural flavorings". Even tomato sauce can have garlic in it but probably whole tomatoes or diced is OK. ) A tiny bit of garlic doesn't count. Thanks.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  2. msf

msf Senior Member

Yes, I have been following the FODMAP diet for over a year, with very good results. Garlic and onion are the top two foods to avoid, along with things like leeks, etc. When I did eat some garlic again (by mistake) a lot of my gut symptoms came back, and I have found that the gut symptoms drive the other symptoms (such as poor sleep).

ryan31337 likes this.
  3. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    @Kimsie I am very sensitive to garlic (in all forms) and raw onion/leek etc. I haven't eaten garlic in years, because it makes me extremely sick and dizzy. And you're right, garlic is everywhere.

Is there a specific reason why you want to avoid garlic?

4. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

DH and I are on a garlic free diet for over 2 years. Garlic causes him low copper and massive IBSD. As for me, I thought I could handle it, but about 6 months ago I tried it and it caused me horrible hormonal symptoms (manganese?) - sweating and insomnia - and possibly oxalate issues (sulfur, aspartate).

5. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    I don't eat processed food, and have had to drop garlic 4 years ago due to sulfur intolerance. I tried a few times, but body doesn't want it

6. Richard7

Richard7 Senior Member

Australia
    ouch, you have ME/CFS and you cannot eat garlic.

But yeah I know Hare Krishna devotees abstain from it so I don't imagine that going without would be harmful.

Though it is an antimicrobial and antioxidant and I was just reading this https://www.researchgate.net/publication/284137140_Antioxidants_and_vascular_health the section that is relevant is 4.1, and thinking that I do not know what all of this stuff means but it certainly sounds good.

7. ryan31337

ryan31337 Senior Member

South East, England
    Exactly the same response to garlic and onion here. Have been on a zero FODMAP diet with great results for the past 6 months. In previous years with better overall health I only had to avoid gluten/dairy elements, but with an overall worsening in health the garlic/onion and other FODMAPs slowly became an issue again.

See more popular forum discussions.