1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Has anyone tested XMRV + after taking Valcyte or Vistide?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by aepalisades, May 4, 2010.

1. aepalisades

aepalisades

Michigan
    I am curious if anyone has tested XMRV + after taking Valcyte (or Vistide)? I have been on Valcyte for 2 years (Dr Lerner) and have gained most of my improvement in the last two months. I want to get tested for XMRV, but am waiting for the new serology test (and some money) but am concerned since I have shown improvement on Valcyte that maybe it will affect XMRV test results. For anyone wondering: I am still physically limited and tire easily, but I am no longer CONSTANTLY fatigued (thank God!). I can take little walks (10 minutes) but still need a lot of rest. This is improvement for me since I was constantly on the couch laying down with fatigue and headaches.
    :victory:

2. Cloud

Cloud Guest

Yes, I had already been on Vistide for 10 months when I tested xmrv+. In fact, I had my xmrv lab drawn the same day as a Vistide Tx. I have never taken Valcyte, but I'm very happy to hear of your progress on that med.

3. gracenote

gracenote All shall be well . . .

Santa Rosa, CA
    I was on Valcyte for 7 or 8 months last year. I tested positive for XMRV.

4. cfs since 1998

cfs since 1998 *****

Did it help you at all, make you worse, or no difference?

5. gracenote

gracenote All shall be well . . .

Santa Rosa, CA
    I think the Valcyte helped a little with "brain fog" and lessened my low grade temperatures. It didn't do anything for my fatigue levels or anything else. It didn't make me more functional.

6. cfs since 1998

cfs since 1998 *****

Thanks .

7. aepalisades

aepalisades

Michigan
    I didn't notice much improvement with fatigue until I added B12 shots (which I previously had used but the fatigue came back after 3 months). So I am waiting to see if the fatigue returns.....Or if the Valcyte alone made all the difference, since B12 alone wasn't "it".

8. loispix

loispix

Massachusetts
    I took Valcyte from about January 6 through about June 7 and then stopped. About July 15th I was tested for XMRV. I just got the result today and it was positive.

Lois in Boston area where there are no CFS doctors!$#@

9. KC22

KC22 Senior Member

Ohio
    I've been on valcyte for 2 1/2 years. I am now taking it every other day.. I have noticed some improvement; mostly cognitive, but my fatigue is not as bad. I still can't do a lot and get sick and tired very easily.

Long story, but I spoke with Dr. Whittemore and asked her about valcyte and XMRV testing. She told me that it can be found in patients, but sometime harder to find. I am with you, I am waiting until the XMRV test is solid; I don't want to waste my money.

10. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

kc22.......who is dr. whittemore?

11. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

lois.. i think there is someone in boston..perhaps you can make a new thread..i could have sworn i knew someone who was being treated in boston. you might also want to ask at prohealth.com

12. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    I'm in roughly the same place, and am wondering the same thing. I don't want to waste $$$ on XMRV tests for two of us if the Valcyte is likely to affect the test results.

Still improving on the Valcyte, BTW.

13. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    Welcome to the Forum Loispix! How are you handling the news?

So you had a month and a half after stopping Valcyte before your blood was drawn. Hmm, interesting.

See more popular forum discussions.