• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has Anyone Seen Dr. Kogelnik?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
it seems to me that a lot of us have both lyme and viral probs and the lyme takes near forever to shake off. i myself find that i also have the dilemma of whether to go after the viral problems or bacterial problems first.
go for both, i think thats how dr lerner does it??

I posted earlier in this thread a couple years back as a patient of Dr. K.
I'm preparing for my first appt. with him in over 2 years and was wondering what's new with Dr. K & his Rituxan trials or any other info. someone might have who has seen him recently.

I'm preparing for my first appt. with him in over 2 years and was wondering what's new with Dr. K & his Rituxan trials or any other info. someone might have who has seen him recently.

My daughter has not seen Dr. K recently. Like you, it's been a few years. Sorry I can't answer your question about what's new with his trials. We have gone down another path (fighting the Lyme) so we are seeing other doctors.

Daffodil

I think Dr. K used rituxan combined with antivirals...if we could find out what happened, we may be able to put the EBV thing to rest once and for all.

ebethc

5150, I am a chemo nurse, i gave Rituximab at least hundred times.

why is RTX so expensive to administer? I've read that the "infusion cost" alone @ OMI is $2k per infusion!

I also just read that there is going to be a subcutaneous version of RTX coming out (no word when; it was just announced this month).. Does a subcutaneous version imply that it will be easier - and cheaper!! - to administrate? thx

Kati

Patient in training
why is RTX so expensive to administer? I've read that the "infusion cost" alone @ OMI is $2k per infusion!

I also just read that there is going to be a subcutaneous version of RTX coming out (no word when; it was just announced this month).. Does a subcutaneous version imply that it will be easier - and cheaper!! - to administrate? thx
What are your sources regarding the 2000$ per infusion?

The cost of the drug is expensive. It is not off-patent yet, so they can keep the cost high. The cost of the drug goes to pharma, not the dr who are using it. The infusion fee is for the nurse, the first infusion is always more because it requeires one to one nursing in case there are reactions but not at the cost you have quoted.

I recommend you to inquire directly to the clinic if you are interested.

And regarding the sub Q Ritux injections, it is still in clinical trial as far as I know, but one need to remember that once the drug is injected sub Q you can not retrieve it again, so if there are drug reactions which can be severe, you are stuck with it. This is why it has been given and carefully titrated in the IV. If there is a drug reaction, the first thing the nurse does is stop the infusion.

Last edited:

ebethc

What are your sources regarding the 2000$ per infusion?

a member of PR told me over PM yesterday. info is one year old, so perhaps a little more expensive now, or at least the same.

...but not at the cost you have quoted.

are you canadian? our system in the u.s. is extremely expensive. 60%+ bankruptcies are medical bankruptcies (2009 data, so I believe it's higher now.) This is a long article, but even if you skim it, you'll get the idea.

http://www.uta.edu/faculty/story/2311/Misc/2013,2,26,MedicalCostsDemandAndGreed.pdf

And regarding the sub Q Ritux injections, it is still in clinical trial as far as I know, but one need to remember that once the drug is injected sub Q you can not retrieve it again, so if there are drug reactions which can be severe, you are stuck with it. This is why it has been given and carefully titrated in the IV. If there is a drug reaction, the first thing the nurse does is stop the infusion.

I think this quashes the SC idea for me...

I've been around and chased down a wide range of possible underlying problems/causes/aggravating factors for my diagnosed CFS and would not recommend AK as someone to analyze your condition and follow up. I had one blood test and received minimal reporting and no follow up. Got the distinct impression I was a guinea pig for gathering blood samples. Just one person's opinion.

Sparrowhawk

As an alternative, I have a good friend currently seeing Dr. Kauffman at OMI and getting great, attentive care for the past year or so. Dr. Kauffman seems to be open to working with the patient to map out and attempt to remediate complex medical issues.