• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone here given up on methylation?

I'm guessing unless methylation has a near 100% success rate, there are people like me who have tried many times over the years, a variety of protocols but ultimately do not end up progressing. I still read here from time to time to see how others are going.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I gave up. When I was on low enough doses where I didn't have bad side effects I got zero benefit that I could tell. I never had the brightening, clarity, nothing. But as i increased doses i started having horrible side effects from MB12 or metafolin.

It's a fine balancing act and I just don't understand it enough to be able to do it and keep things in line.

I may go back and take low doses of some stuff and maybe it will help in some way? I don' know.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I gave up - tried three different protocols and each time became more and more debilitated (not a lack of potassium) and had to stop.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@lift - I did poorly on the supplements in Richvank's protocol - I kept trying it for some 3-1/2 years off and on, but felt sick each time I did. And then I came across Freddd's B12 protocol and it was a completely different experience - none of the sick feelings I got with Rich's protocol so I'm guessing there was something in the supplements Rich recommended that I could not tolerate.

My potassium did tank on Freddd's protocol but that was easily fixed. About a year ago I tried to increase my metafolin from 1600 mcg. a day (two 800 mcg. tablets in divided doses) to 3200 and experienced severe mercury detox symptoms. It was a little bizarre, I bought a cell phone I didn't need, basically was a space cadet. When I dropped it back down to 1600 mcg. the symptoms went away. Sometime I am going to try to increase my metafolin again, but more gradually. I don't think I have the detox problems I had a year ago.

I know this whole subject can be so complex and we all react so differently - I wish we had competent readily available practitioners who could help us out!

Gingergrrl

Tried it twice, horrible over-methylation reaction and my Dr had me stop it. I cannot tolerate the supplements at all.

Hip

I'm guessing unless methylation has a near 100% success rate, there are people like me who have tried many times over the years, a variety of protocols but ultimately do not end up progressing. I still read here from time to time to see how others are going.

The success rate of the methylation protocol in terms of delivering major benefits is only around 1 in 4 patients, so most people will not see major improvements.

This poll found only 25% of patients had major improvements.

Rich's own informal study on 30 ME/CFS patients (see page 43 of this document) found a similar percentage (27%) of patients getting major improvements after three months on the methylation protocol.

Last edited:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
One in four PWME getting major benefits from anything sounds great to me! But I think it's important to define 'major improvement' (which that poll didn't). For me, a 'major improvement' would be being able to sit in a chair for a couple of hours every day, but that wouldn't even move me up a point on the Bell (?) scale.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I tolerate Rich's protocol well, and have for years. Initially it gave me a boost, but I have sort of gotten used to the boost now. It certainly hasn't cured me, but I regard it as a support.

Sushi

PennyIA

I've had a lot of good days - no PEM for weeks and months at a time.

But I'm still not where I can tolerate the supplements long enough to get there more regularly... I take a modified dosage and stop/start intentionally. It's keeping me working full time which I don't think I'd be here without it.

So, not giving up on it yet. But, having to stop/restart on a scheduled basis has kept me in better shape than without.

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
I've tried both of the popular protocols on this site, several times over the years, and didn't really benefit from them. I would usually crash hard after a couple of months. Maybe it was a potassium issue, I have no idea.

Freddd's protocol is so convoluted and scattered all over the forum that it's virtually impossible to follow anymore.

I seem to be having better luck on the PHD with specific probiotics and RS. I'm pretty sure that gut microbiota is a big issue with my condition.

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

Taking MeB12 was a life-changing experience. I am trying to tame my uric acid issues and will try again.