• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone had LAUP for apnea (Laser Assisted Uvula Palatoplasty)?

perchance dreamer

I have obstructive sleep apnea and treat it with a dental device that brings the lower jaw forward so that the top and bottom teeth meet. This opens the airway.

Part of the reason I have apnea is that in spite of being thin, my palate is long and floppy. The ENT said this is far more common in overweight people, but can happen to thin people, too.

There is an in-office treatment I'm looking into, LAUP, in which the palate is lasered so that it contracts and stiffens. The ENT said people with long, floppy palates like mine benefit the most from this procedure.

Have any of you had this done? I've done well with my dental device for years and will have the dentist look at it and do any necessary adjusting, but it's contributing to neck pain, so I need to figure out another apnea solution. I couldn't tolerate CPAP.