1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hunting down the cause of ME/CFS & other challenging disorders - Lipkin in London
In a talk to patients in London on 3rd September, Dr. W. Ian Lipkin described the extraordinary lengths he and his team are prepared to go to in order to track down the source of an illness, with examples ranging from autism to the strange case of Kawasaki disease.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Has anyone gotten CFS after a physical trauma (major car accident, burn, etc) ?

Discussion in 'General Symptoms' started by Whit, May 9, 2012.

?

CFS started for me after:

1. A serious physical trauma (car accident, burn, etc)

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. An infection (cold, virus, bacterial, travelling)

25 vote(s)
    71.4%
  3. Emotional distress (stress, depression, etc)

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. I don't know, CFS just started without any known trigger

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. Googsta

Googsta Doing Well

Australia
    I haven't voted because I'm not sure when my decline started.
    I became seriously ill in early 2001.

Winter 1999 I was finally diagnosed lactose intolerant after a long period of disabling sinus migraines, rash & GI disturbances.

December 1999 passenger in a car accident, whiplash.

December 31st 1999 I had a horse riding accident.
    I was unconcious for approximately 40 minutes, by the time the ambulance arrived I was hypothermic. I'd actually fractured 4 lumbar veterbrae & spent 5 days in hospital. But it was intially missed & I was sent home to care for myself but that's a whole 'nother medical incompetence story, lol.

Spring 2000 severe gastro illness, lost 6kg in less than 2 weeks.

January 2001 Whooping Cough, didn't know I was sick & kept working in extreme heat/labour conditions.

Never recovered after that, totally bedridden.

I agree with Rich. If you want to cover all the bases you need to add his suggestions. And may I suggest options for choosing more than one.

2. KiwiOz

KiwiOz

Adelaide, South Australia
    Hi, I am very interested in this thread, I got CFS in 2008 when i was 35 years old after having Surgery. I was fine before the op but started experiencing symptoms about 5 weeks after it. During my surgery i also had 2 blood transfusions. I was finally diagnosed with CFS 2 & a half years after the op by a Rheumatologist who believes i got it from the anaesthetics that were used. By the time i was diagnosed i thought i probably had got it from the blood transfusions & had never thought of the anaesthetic as i have had them in the past & been fine, so i have posted my vote under physical trauma.
    I have just joined this site but been reading for years. :)

3. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    Im not voting for what caused my ME as it wouldnt be telling my full story.

my history indicates that I could of Igot ME from already having a Th2 dominant system to which I seem to have had right throu my childhood, then I got ME when 26/27 years due to stress and too many late nights etc. It was the trigger into ME. (I think it messed up something in my immune system). As a child I had a blood tranfusion too..so maybe due to that or my family ME/CFS history as we have issues throu my family with it.... maybe something was laying dormant in my system waiting to be triggered.

Many of us have multiple things which probably set the stage for this whole illness.

4. Whit

Whit Senior Member

Bay Area
    Yeah I understand many or most people wound up with CFS/ME from a mix of things or without knowing why. I'm pretty sure mine was related to infection because all 3 times i got worse with new symptoms for the first time was during/shortly after travel abroad. But I still have no idea whether infection was the direct cause or a trigger for something else like an immune reaction. So I agree, it does often seem rather complicated.

I started the thread to see if there are any simple cases of severe physical trauma causing CFS/ME. Looks like there aren't too many. I'm not sure if the ones who voted that way are actually cases like that without having more explanation.

5. Foggy

Foggy

Australia
    I voted trauma - I had a work injury that resulted in a lot of physio, MRI scans, ultrasounds and other "therapy". The fact that my workplace was incredibly mouldy and dusty (like an over sized petri dish), I think it stressed out my immune system way too much. After a bout of flu and gastro etc, I eventually developed ME/CFS after 10months.

Such is life:(

6. wanttorecover

wanttorecover

New Zealand
    I have heard people say that major trauma is a common cause of ME. My husband has ME due his brain injury from a major car accident. I know of many people with brain injuries (mostly the more severe type as in diffuse injury) who also have ME.

See more popular forum discussions.