Lipkin's Monster ME/CFS Study: Microbes, Immunity & Big Data
The Microbe Discovery Project outlines an ambitious new study by top researchers that has collected patient samples, but needs desperately funds to complete the work.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Has Anyone found a good natural Ammonia Scavenger?

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by Mya Symons, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Mya Symons

Mya Symons Mya Symons

Washington
    I am looking for something natural that is a good Ammonia scavenger. So far the only available thing I have been able to find is Sodium Benzoate. Sodium Benzoate is a preservative that has a cancer risk. Is there anything else someone can get without a prescription?

2. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    minkeygirl likes this.
  3. Mya Symons

Mya Symons Mya Symons

Washington
    Thank you for the information. Do you know of a type of Acetyl l-Carnitine that is easy on the stomach? If I take any more than 100 milligrams twice a day I vomit. And, where do you get the Oxaloacetic acid by itself?

4. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
  5. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

6. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    @Mya Symons Also malic acid. See this thread:
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/new-inexpensive-cbs-ammonia-fix.31835/

I'm now following Martin Pall's suggestions re scavengers for peroxynitrite. I've given up trying to understand the biochemical distinctions between these 2. In my body, they seem to act the same. (ammonia/peroxy). You'll find his list in the 2 links to him in my signature. The vid seems to have more recent additions, in last 20" of presentation. Slide form, so you can copy them out. Antioxidants is the short answer. 've been consuming large amounts of carrots during this period of detox. As well as others of his antiox list. I can feel them working.

Gondwanaland likes this.
  7. Mya Symons

Mya Symons Mya Symons

Washington
    Thank you.

8. adreno

adreno PR activist

Alpha ketoglutarate (AKG). Combined with ornithine (OKG), as Ema mentioned, might be even more effective. OKG is vastly more expensive than AKG, though.

9. liverock

liverock Senior Member

UK
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  10. JPV

JPV ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

liverock likes this.
  11. Gondwanaland

Lysine or Glutamine work for me.

12. adreno

adreno PR activist

Glutamine breaks down to ammonia, so that's hard to believe.

13. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Hi @Mya Symoms,

If you're concerned about ammonia, I would definitely check out the website of Dr. David Jernigan. He runs a clinic in Kansas which focuses on Lyme, which he believes creates excess ammonia and causes many of the symptoms of serious neurological diseases. I recall he claims to have formulated some very effective remedies to reduce ammonia levels. Here's a LINK to his website. Below is a snippet from his website:

If you have Lyme disease, MS, ALS, Parkinson's, Autism, Alzheimer's, and other chronic conditions, you definitely have ammonia accumulating in your brain and body.

As the discoverer that Lyme spirochetes cause the accumulation of ammonia it is very validating to me that other scientists and physicians have confirmed the finding.

Although many people have heard of Leaky Bowel Syndrome (LBS), few have heard of Leaky Brain Syndrome. I coined this term when I became aware of the damaging effects on the blood-brain barrier (BBB) from the accumulation of Lyme-induced ammonia in the brain. Ammonia in the brain is a primary cause of neurological and psychological hypersensitivity.

Ammonia in the brain alters the permeability of the BBB enabling larger molecules to cross, such as common amino-acids that normally would not be able to cross the blood-brain-barrier. When these random molecules touch the brain tissues they set up neuro-inflammation, hyper-reactivity and hypersensitivities to stimuli, such as environmental scents, chemical toxins, mycotoxins, metabolic products, emotions, and even changes in barometric pressure, moon phases, and geopathic stressors. Many people with these issues feel that they suffer from cerebral allergies, but cannot pin any one cause down. ​

14. Gondwanaland

http://www.aminoacid-studies.com/amino-acids/glutamine-and-glutamic-acid.html
    I have also read other people here benefitting form it.

When I was taking glutamine I felt the most clear minded I can possibly be (like in my MB12 honeymoon). I had to stop because I became anemic - glutamine promotes cell proliferation - RBC and WBC go way up - and since I was supplementing zinc w/o copper my RBC went down.

Right now I am taking whey and the high lysine content helps immensely, but not as much as glutamine. I am waiting for my RBC to normalize again before going back to glutamine.

My husband was also supplementing zinc w/o copper and tried glutamine. That made him bedridden for most part of the days. So glutamine with zinc isn't a good match.

Wayne likes this.
  15. adreno

adreno PR activist

Glutamine: a Trojan horse in ammonia neurotoxicity. - PubMed - NCBI http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17006913

16. Gondwanaland

You won't know if you benefit from it unless you try it, and I wouldn't take more than 1g /daily anyway.

Wayne likes this.
  17. adreno

adreno PR activist

I'm not going to try something that is known to make the problem worse. Ammonia is detoxified by glutamine synthetase, which converts glutamate and ammonia into glutamine:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12020613

And hyperammonia is associated with excess glutamine:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20880508

18. Gondwanaland

It worked so well for me.

Wayne likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.