Surprisingly good outcomes for people who get ME/CFS after Mononucleosis (Glandular Fever)
Sometimes ME/CFS emerges after mononucleosis, or glandular fever. Simon McGrath shares results from a long-term follow-up study from Haukeland University Hospital in Norway...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Has anyone developed an intolerance for red meat?

Discussion in 'Addressing Biotoxin, Chemical & Food Sensitivities' started by wciarci, Apr 14, 2010.

1. IntuneJune

IntuneJune Senior Member

NorthEastern USA
    Wendy, not to worry

Funny, while you were posting, I was sitting in my family room with my neighbor talking about nature and how cruel nature is. She and I are both animal lovers, she had seen something that upset her today at work and she came by for a minute.

With regards to your diet, I think it is a good idea to take a look at it with fresh eyes. Eliminating trigger foods helped me a great deal, but initially, 30 years ago, I had help with the allergist diagnosing properly some of my problem foods.

Eating simple basic foods is a good place to start, although if it is gluten you are after, one must be a very, very good detective.

It is well-documented those with our problems usually also have food issues. I don't believe the foods are the root of our problem, but if our bodies are having a hard time with certain foods, certainly avoiding them would lighten the burdeon.

June

2. Victoria

Victoria Senior Member

Melbourne, Australia
    Well said, June,

I would like to add that I find a need to make subtle changes to my diet from time to time - too much of the one food can trigger sensitivities (that you were not aware of in the past).

3. wciarci

wciarci Wenderella

Connecticut
    Thanks Intune, Vikkie, I really have to do something, as I have had one meal today and have spent most of the day on the loo. This has got to stop. If only I can remember this tomorrow! Actually a friend of mine at school is a raw foodist and has started his own business making lunches, dinner etc. I think I'll start with him (easier), until my strength returns. There is no way I can go shopping right now.

XX Wendy

4. Victoria

Victoria Senior Member

Melbourne, Australia
    Interesting that you should mention "raw foodist", Wendy,

I used to eat mainly raw food all through the summer many years ago (as many Australians do - we love our salads in all shapes & forms).

I often wonder if that was how I picked up the Blastocystis Hominus parasite infection 7-8 years ago - not washing the raw cabbage & lettuce greens properly. Which in turn contributed to my diarrheoa & IBS symptoms. I rarely have raw food now - cooked food seems to be easier on the digestion.

No way to know for sure, of course.

5. wciarci

wciarci Wenderella

Connecticut
    Now, I will definitely get tested for parasites. We have our own organic vegetable garden and I eat raw all the time. We have been eating our beautiful asparagus (first year of harvesting) on salads. There was or is a show on TV, the monsters inside me, I think is the name. It is all about parasites. My friend told me about it. Now you have mentioned it. This must be a sign to get tested ;-)

Wendy

6. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Red meat is pro-inflammatory, so perhaps the reason your have automatically developed a dislike for red meat is simply your body's way of avoiding triggering inflammation.

Dairy products are also pro-inflammatory.

There is research showing that excessive brain inflammation causes a lot of the problems in CFS, fibro and Lyme. Perhaps you might want to explore anti-inflammatory supplements, to see if this helps.

7. Victoria

Victoria Senior Member

Melbourne, Australia
    You are right, Hip,

Red Meat is very inflammatory. So are all meat & fish. So is all dairy, & most grains (except millet, I think).

And most nuts (except almonds which are pretty high in omega 6 & 9 with almost no healthful omega 3, so while they're alkaline, it's best not to eat almonds every day).

I had to weigh up the pros & cons when I decided about eating red meat. In making my decision to eat at least 2 red meat meals per week, I looked at the other factors - increased protein, increased energy, increased Lysine (my health goes down hill very quickly without adequate lysine), iron & a host of other factors. I used to eat 4-5 red meat meals per week many years ago. I have revised that down to 2 per week, but if I ever feel like I'm getting too tired, I eat steak two nights in a row & immediately seem to perk back up again.

I have tried vegetarian many, many years ago, & tried fish only (as my source of protein) a few years ago. I just plain got too tired & too many IBS symptoms.

I sincerely believe some of us were meant to eat meat, & some of us were meant to be vegetarian.

I believe vegan or fruitarian is too extreme.

I made a decision to go down the middle way - a little bit of everything, with minimal grains & dairy which I KNOW don't agree with me. So, while I do get increased pain & inflammation from time to time, I get a reduction in other symptoms that make it worth getting those intemittent episodes of pain.

I used to enjoy vegetarian meals, but rarely now. There's too much fibre in beans & other pulses for me.

As I need to eat a variety of protein sources, I need to watch my fibre intake too.

I never, ever want to go back to the severe bowel & stomach pain (all night for years on end, as in 2003,4 etc).

IBS (for me) & the sleepless nights around 2004 were the worst period of my life (except for the excruciating sciatic pain before my lumbar disc surgery in mid 2008 - but that was prolapsed discs, not pain from incorrect diet).

As they say, Variety is the Spice of Life.

See more popular forum discussions.