Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Has anyone been helped by Vagus nerve stimulation?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Bansaw, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Bansaw

Bansaw Senior Member

Just wondering about this. I know that I have gut disbiosis, and heard devices that stimulate the vagus nerve can help in many cases.
    Anyone tried it, and can anyone recommend an affordable device?
    I am wary of speding $500 on a device that does not work for me and I'm stuck with it.

Vineyard1 likes this.
  2. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    helen1 and Vineyard1 like this.
  3. kangaSue

kangaSue Senior Member

Brisbane, Australia
    There was a few different vagus nerve stimulating devices discussed here https://www.inspire.com/kangaSue/journal/portable-vagus-nerve-stimulator-for-gastroparesis-1/
    I haven't tried any of the devices discussed because I have an experimental gastric pacemaker and have been advised that it's not known if it's compatible with other electrical field generators but I know of a couple of people with gastroparesis who have tried the Gammacore device without success.

4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    I haven't seen any scientific evidence of this. I am very very skeptical as to whether this would work...

5. tandrsc

tandrsc

UK
  6. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    Why is that?

7. junkcrap50

junkcrap50 Senior Member

Yes, I've tried TRANS-CUTANEOUS vagus nerve stimulation. DO NOT SPEND $500 on a machine. There is definitely no need to spend that much. If you look closely at the papers for transcutaneous vagus never stimulation, you can find the exact TENS device they used, I believe it costs around $50. I looked at it and all the features it has and bought a TENS device similar to it that had all the same features.

It didn't seem to do much for me, but I didn't stick with it past 3 weeks or so. I also don't seem to have many vagal symptoms like POTS or anything else.

If you have any questions, just ask and I will answer them the best I can.

PS: there is scientific evidence of this and it does work.

8. Tofer

Tofer

Hi! I've bought the TENs thing for my wife (she is ME) and tried first it on myself with the following settings 20 HZ 100 ms and 1 second on and 1 second off for 15 min in general. Actually I didn't expect such a strong effect. I wouldn't say it was great. For the right ear I felt like something is happening with my heart and some symptoms of the upcoming unconsciousness. As for the left ear I felt like something is happening with my nerves. I can't explain even. I'm a little afraid to try it on my wife. Where can I read about vagus nerve stimulation for ME? Which ear is the best to use, which parameters to set?

See more popular forum discussions.