1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Has anyone been completely cured of CFS?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by cosmo, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Dster

Dster

My wife’s breast cancer was initiated by a severe psychological shock. Following diagnosis she received chemotherapy, radiotherapy and surgery. She was also advised by her oncologist on how to approach the cancer psychologically, since the literature shows that those with a certain mental attitude had better outcomes. So a physical illness was initiated by negative psychology, treated by non-psychological interventions, aided and abetted by positive psychology

ME/CFS literature suggests that more women than men are affected and that it is more prevalent in certain personality types; suggesting psychology is involved at some level (it’s difficult to see how physical differences could cause such variation). Is it not even remotely possible then that a “psychological” training program could help/augment other treatments of even the worst cases of ME/CFS and cure the less extreme cases? My view from personal experience is that it can, and that people visiting this site should know about it
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    No, cancer is a biological disorder with biological triggers. The causation has no psychological components.
    Those studies (one or two) have been contradicted by many other studies, if not invalidated outright.
    Sex is biology, not psychology. Most autoimmune diseases favor one sex over the other. This does not implicate a psychological component.
    Again, these studies are contradicted by studies employing a more rigorous methodology. And they are woefully outdated.

But thank you for clarifying that you believe cancer is a largely psychological disorder. It helps us to understand that your problem is far more extensive than your misguided views about ME. So I guess we shouldn't take it personally.
    MeSci, Gingergrrl43, SOC and 7 others like this.
  3. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

You don't know that. That's just your interpretation of a temporal correlation between the cancer being recognized and the psychological shock.

Which literature? I seriously doubt that there's any credible evidence that positive attitudes lead to longer survival time in cancer.

Women and men are biologically different. A correlation between personality types means nothing. It should be expected that severe illness will affect personality.

I think you could learn a lot by reading some older research on supposedly psychosomatic illnesses. People were not afraid to proclaim illnesses as psychosomatic with near certainty, just because they had no better explanation. And they saw a lot of flaws in patients too, which they were seen as causative. Today this is seen as nonsense, but there are still a few poorly understood illnesses where this pseudoscience continues.

Yes, the right psychological intervention can be helpful. Interventions based on systematic denial of reality are harmful, and LP and certain forms of GET/CBT fall under this. In any case, claims of curing physical illness with positive thinking (for £650 I might add) are pure quackery targeting the vulnerable.
    MeSci, SOC, Sushi and 2 others like this.
  4. Gingergrrl43

Gingergrrl43 Senior Member

USA
    There is a vast difference in using psychological and supportive treatments to augment medical treatments of CFS versus claiming that these alone *cure* CFS.

If someone receives a diagnosis of HIV (with a blood test to prove it) then of course they can and should benefit from therapy and counseling to augment their treatment. However, no one in their right mind would say that therapy alone would cure their HIV.

CFS is absolutely no different.
    MeSci, Sushi and Valentijn like this.

See more popular forum discussions.