• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anybody tried Calcium Pyruvate for energy ?

Mary

Moderator Resource
Has anybody tried Calcium Pyruvate for energy ? What dose did you try ?

I tried it some 13 years ago. I forget the dose, probably took what was recommended on the bottle. After a few days (as I recall, it may have been longer or shorter), it did boost my energy. I believe I had 3 or 4 good days on it without fear of crashing. And then it stopped helping and I went back to normal. I tried taking it again off and on the over years and never repeated my first good experience.

Having said this, a few months ago I started taking it at night to help with glutamate toxicity - severe insomnia after a lorazepam taper, and it has helped some, though not with energy. Resveratrol has also been helpful in the same way.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3995922/

alex3619

Why do you think this might work? It might work by sending a signal, it wont work as an energy substrate, and in a dynamic problem it is likely to be only a temporary boost at best unless we can find feedback loops and shut them down.

alex3619

I find resveratrol helpful in 600mg doses, not taken every day but at most every third day. I now only take it for times when I have breathing issues. I also find it helps with increasing tolerance to sleep deprivation.

raghav

Thanks @lnester7 In trials dosage range was 20 -50 grams because it is not easily absorbed by the body. But the downside is at these doses it can cause loose bm.

A few years ago I tried calcium pyruvate supplements at once for losing some weight.
It really worked well at that time. It actually worked to fat burning and increased the amount of energy. It brought a result of desired weight loss as well.

But I felt like some side effect while taking calcium pyruvate capsules. I was affected by diarrhea few times.
I would like to say you that consult with your doctor before taking any medication as it may react with the prospective drugs.

pattismith

I find resveratrol helpful in 600mg doses, not taken every day but at most every third day. I now only take it for times when I have breathing issues. I also find it helps with increasing tolerance to sleep deprivation.

it is a AMPK activator, isn't it?

Has anybody tried Calcium Pyruvate for energy ? What dose did you try ?
It was not a positive experience for me:

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/ind...pplementation-bad-reaction.61455/#post-999262

alex3619

I think the primary mechanism of Resveratrol is its a PDE4 inhibitor. PDE is phosphodiesterase, responsible for destroying cyclic AMP. So it raises cyclic AMP levels and its effects are secondary to that. I have not looked at the science for several years however, and undoubtedly there have been new discoveries I am unaware of.