• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Harvard Trained Immunologist Demolishes CA Legislation That Terminates Vax Exemptions 2016 Circle of

Valentijn

Not all opinions are created equal?
Why would all opinions be equal? Does a flat-earth theory deserve equal respect? People are entitled to their own (wrong) opinions, but that doesn't mean their opinion is equally valid.

Science isn't about opinions. It's about evidence. The evidence is overwhelmingly that vaccines are beneficial, and that many people opting out due to personal beliefs increases the risk of serious illness or death for those who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons.

There are obviously situations where vaccines are not appropriate, and ardently pro-vaccine parties have substantially contributed to the backlash by not acknowledging that. But instead of waging war on vaccination in its entirety, a campaign to conduct research into what triggers a bad response to vaccination would be much more productive.

Last edited:

duncan

@Valentijn , I did not claim all opinions are equal - although I am concerned that stating otherwise, too often, borders on elitism. I think some opinions over time develop as they accrue more support and become more informed (not necessarily facts or even knowledge). This is different than whether or not all opinions start off equal, i.e., are created equal.

Even so, there are risks here, especially when there is money on the table, and lots of it, and just who controls the information spigot is questionable. After all, there is the possibility we are talking in good measure about whose opinion is the most misinformed. If obscene amounts of $'s are in play, or legacy concerns, or legal issues - I think the risk of misinformation escalates.

Whatever source a given person accepts as valid and true, almost invariably a leap of faith is involved to one degree or another. We mitigate the extent of that leap by trying to ensure that Science is on our side - and not something masquerading as Science, for instance - but we can be wrong. I think it is easier to be fooled than many of us would care to admit.

I know I can be wrong. I still believe strongly about some things. However, I am reluctant to impose my beliefs on someone else in the form of mandates, in part because I recognize my fallibilities and the fallibilities of the system.

Last edited: