Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Harms of outcome switching in reports of randomised trials: CONSORT perspective

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Continues at: http://www.bmj.com/content/356/bmj.j396.short

Barry53, AndyPR, Binkie4 and 8 others like this.
  2. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Doug Altman is a huge figure in the world of statistics, and one of the key players to raise doubts over the medical trials are reported.

That's particularly true of PACE's recovery outcomes. Note they failed to report the predeclared recovery outcomes - let alone explaing differences - and they have now admitted their published findings were 'exploratory' ie after access to the data rather than the prespecified ones declared in the protocol.
    Can patients with chronic fatigue syndrome really recover after graded exercise or cognitive behavioural therapy? A critical commentary and preliminary re-analysis of the PACE trial

Barry53, Sasha, TiredSam and 4 others like this.
  3. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

UK
    Do you know whether he has looked specifically at PACE - or is aware of it?

Snowdrop, TiredSam and Binkie4 like this.
  4. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

Of course it wasn't just the recovery outcomes they switched it was their primary outcomes as well and the definition of harm. With PACE it was open label so even without seeing the data they would have a feel.

Dolphin and trishrhymes like this.
  5. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    Exactly. Huge concerns. The authors might claim it was done before any analysis, but I would love to see them in a court of law, and state under oath it was done without any prior knowledge of the data, nor strong inkling of where the results were headed. Given all the evidence of how dishonestly they try to defend their claims ... what chance is there, (I mean - really!) that the PACE authors' switched outcomes for any other reason than knowing the originals would prove their prejudices to be unfounded.

Sean and TiredSam like this.
  6. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Yes, we have seen just how well their claims hold up in such a setting, which is not at all.

Not that it stops them from subsequently repeating the same claims.

Barry53, Valentijn and TiredSam like this.

See more popular forum discussions.