1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Harm from GET and CBT

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Andrew, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    aimossy, ahimsa, Min and 2 others like this.
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

General news, or latest research?

Looks good, thanks Andrew.

3. OverTheHills

OverTheHills

New Zealand
    Well big thanks to one of our very own for publishing this excellent scholarly review. What an acheivement!

:balloons::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::balloons:

I have been really hoping that someone with enough ability and academic writing skill would publish some of the PACE analysis which I admire in the PACE thread, and here is something perhaps even more useful. Is the iacfsme bulletin listed on ?pubmed ?medline so other researchers can see it. I hope so. How does Tom do it? I have very poor memory now and can only admire.

Anyway.I expect he's blushing so I'll stop now. OTH

PS And thanks Andrew for posting it.

justinreilly, Min, Dolphin and 2 others like this.
  4. frenchtulip

frenchtulip Senior Member

Very impressive!

Tom uses his fine mind and gives so generously of his time to make a difference for our ME/CFS community! Congratulations, Tom! Brilliantly done!

justinreilly, Min and WillowJ like this.
  5. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    yes, indeed! well done to our Tom, who does generously give his time and talents to help our community!

6. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    This is so great! Thank you Tom! We really need 'scholarly articles' especially topic review articles on ME. Wessely and co. especially dominate this area and it is critical for us because this is the info that gets transmitted to doctors (and the general public via repetition on Wikipedia). If anyone wants to try this type of thing and try to get it published, please do! It is very helpful for us.

7. Battery Muncher

Battery Muncher Senior Member

Great work! Thank you, Tom!

8. LBS

LBS Senior Member

Sacramento, CA
    Nicely done. This is what we need, a piling on of better evidence and analysis as to why the "evidence" supporting these harmful treatments isn't sound.

9. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I still haven't read this with the attention it deserves, but my casual reading indicates an important step in this paper is specific recommendations on how to fix the issues raised. There are lots of critical papers or commentaries, but very few that make recommendations on how to fix things. Of course those with vested interests in CBT/GET might not want to read any of it, and will probably ignore the advice, but they are not the primary target audience I wouldnt think. Bye, Alex

ahimsa and WillowJ like this.
  10. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    I can provide a modest monetary stipend as a small thank you for such work if anyone is studly enuf to draft and get published a good article like this or the Twisk & Maes articles.

Snow Leopard and Dolphin like this.
  11. oceanblue

oceanblue Senior Member

UK
    A really thoughtful & incisive piece showing why and how harms should be reported on the same basis as any therapeutic gains. If researchers take up these recommendations we'd get much more reliable data on the true safety of treatments like CBT.

I also think it's a really important article with implications for all non-pharmacalogical research, not just CBT/GET for CFS.

Great work by Tom Kindlon.

Enid, WillowJ and Dolphin like this.
  12. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    thanks. I put that reference at the world wide wikipedia to support under GET "Surveys conducted on behalf of patient organizations commonly report adverse effects."

(at wiki at the end of that quote which are supposed to reference it, I was surprised to noticed there are references which linked to Wessely stuff which I dont understand that he would be actually supporting adverse effects coming from GET. Anything coming from him wouldnt be truely referencing the statement unless he's using it in a negative kind of way).

Shouldnt references at the end of that statement be properly supporting the statement being made but coming from the patient orgs themselves seeing they were the ones being refered to? (another way the wikipedia is being used in a biased way). Maybe someone has the time and energy to check those links and see if they do support properly what they are supposed to be refering.

I wonder if they will think up some reason to remove Tom Kindlon's reference. Im waiting to see.

Dolphin likes this.
  13. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Good.
    Probably best to edit it and put the reference with the link i.e.

14. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Let's play 'predict the excuses they will use to remove the reference'.

I'll start with:

Author has no track record, and is also a patient and hence is clearly biased beyond all hope.

It is only one paper.

It is not published in a high impact journal.And who the f..k are the IACFS/ME anyway?

We already know that all patients are whinging, delusional, dishonest, and possibly violent nutters.

15. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I see it's gone now. :(
    Did anyone get a chance to write the full reference before this was done? Was a reason given?

16. Carrigon

Carrigon Senior Member

PA, USA
    Apparently, the Mayo Clinic has now adopted GET and CBT.
    http://chronicfatigue.about.com/b/2...fatigue-syndrome-mayo-clinic-goes-british.htm
    I feel like we're being witch hunted. There is no amount of this fake therapy that will ever help my symptoms. Can it fix POTS, IBS, Hashimotos, and the million other things I've got? What about the high white cell count and high viral titers? I'm beyond upset. I'm so physically ill right now that I can't even get my snail mail. And there is no amount of GET that is going to fix that.

justinreilly likes this.
  17. Sallysblooms

Sallysblooms P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!

Southern USA
    I sure hope people will ignore all that stuff here at that hosp. Bizarre.

18. Sean

Sean Senior Member

From the Wikipedia talk page for CFS:

One down, three to go.

19. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The editorial board is at: http://www.iacfs.net/BULLETINFALL2011/tabid/499/Default.aspx

The editor is Fred Friedberg, a psychologist who uses CBT for CFS i.e. this isn't the sort of article he would write.

Articles are peer-reviewed.

20. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Tom Kindlon asked me to post this for him.

justinreilly likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.