• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hard time getting out of bed, any help?

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Jarod, you might be on to something...I think that might be what got me into this mess. I did the steam room two days in a row. I've been a big fan of using the skin to detox. Wonder now if its too hot? (just read about Heat Shock Protein) or It could be viral die off from raising body temperature? I have felt "ill" without being ill if that makes sense. No other symptoms than really wiped out in the AM and a little twinge in the back of my throat where I'll get a sore throat with the onset of a cold.

Yesterday I tried a good dose of Mb12 which didn't help, later I took a potassium and B3 (hoping to slow methylation if that was a problem). That actually helped quite a bit. Took a charcoal cap today to hopefully help mop up my gut.
Be careful of sweating a lot - be aware that you lose potassium (and you already use more potassium when you get the methyl cycle working) so you could wind up with a deficit. I cannot tolerate more than 10 min in a sauna nor can I tolerate SWEATING IN THIS HOT WEATHER!!! (I almost got heat stroke AGAIN). Sweating also drives your blood pressure up if you have blood pressure issues - it drove mine up to 190/90. So...sweating is not good for everyone.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Your comment was valuable indeed, as some people will feel worse on saunas, like those with bad mast cell problems. However, I found necessary to note that coffee its bad for anyone (health nut! hehe) and why saunas can be beneficial for some, or most. Mercury, other metals and toxins (such as xenobiotics or biotoxins) in general are big players in chronic illness and its a scientifically provable fact and empirically suffered by thousands, some of which get better or cured getting properly detoxed and maintaining the detox pathways (methylation its just one of them) functional.
I have mast cell problems. How does sweating affect this? I actually get very agitated in a sauna after 10 minutes. It drives my bp up. If I am in a situation, such as recently trimming bushes in the heat, where I sweat over hours of time I feel like an elephant is sitting on my chest and I can barely breathe for days.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
If I am unusually tired at any time of day (and I have been through spells when it was in the morning) I think about the tenet of macrobiotics that tiredness is caused by acidity in the body and I try to alkalize (eat more fruits and veggies, take alkaline minerals like calcium, magnesium, and potentially potassium (although not to overdo the last as too much potassium causes heart attack). Sometimes that strategy helps.

However most of my life I was anemic and no amount of fruits and veggies would help with that so unfortunately if eating more produce does not help you really need to take some tests to find out what is causing the problem. So is your thyroid a problem (is TSH>2.0)? As said above, is it your cortisol level (in which case you can take a cortisol supplement - I have a dehydrated adrenal supplement for such times - it happens to me during allergy season). Do you have enough iron and enough vitamin A to transport the iron where it needs to go? What does a uMMA test say about your B12 status? Homocysteine test? I don't believe magnesium tests are valid (which you might want to remember if you have heart problems). However you can estimate your magnesium status by asking yourself what percent of the 7-9 fruits and vegetables per day that are required for health according to the Food Pyramid do you eat on a regular basis? The central ion of clorophyl is magnesium...if you don't eat it much then you can expect to be low in magnesium. Magnesium is supposedly needed to utilize ATP (someone here said anyway). What is your carntinie level? www.lef.org has a test for that. Etc.

sregan

Went on a beach holiday for the last week felt pretty good the entire time. Not much had changed except my stress level went way down. I tend to forget how important that is and what probably started me on this downward spiral was a time of prolonged intense stress. Today I awoke again to that feeling which feels like major "depression". I don't want to move, get up. Eventually I got the energy to get my multi vitamin and was feeling much closer to "my" normal within a few minutes. Leads me to think I've got some imbalance that is throwing off my brain chemistry to the extent I have a temporary major depressive condition.

sregan

Today was a little better but not much. Got 2 packages today, one from iherb.com and the other from vitacost. Iherb had my Mrm "complete E", the vitacost had my Jarrow Pantehine. Took one of each and am feeling much much better. If the Pantethine is helping then it's most likely that my adrenals are wiped out in the morning causing my morning depression. Could explain why I did so much better on the vacation. We'll see!

sregan

Today just a little better, still wanting to stay in bed. Wondering if it's adrenal fatigue? I took some supplements today while laying in bed. After taking 500mg of Ester C I was able to get up and had a brief surge of energy but it didn't last long. Also took some B3, Sea Salt Water, then a small amount of p5p and a capsule of tryptophan. Nothing else seemed to help but the C so I took another one. Gonna take some PABA and Pantethine in a little bit.

sregan

Felt bad most of the day. Remembered the C helped so I took 2 about 4pm and felt much much better. I'm gonna assume it's adrenal fatigue and treat accordingly. Paba and Pantethine, Salt water and large doses of vitamin C.

Updated: 8/3/2013 - Before bed I took 2 more Ester C's figuring to give my adrenals another boost. Probably bad timing for that, at that hour they are naturally resting and shutting down. (Update: the extra C caused some type of die off that was evident today). Sleep was not so good, woke again feeling bad. Got up and took one of my "Jarrow" Multi_minerals. Withing a few minutes I was calm, relaxed and was able to return to sleep and got a quality hour! Decided to try to figure out which minteral(s) was helping. So I then took about 50mg potassium and layed back down. At first I felt a little better but then nothing. 15 minutes later up again took about 80mg Magnesium Glycinate, 10mg of zinc chelate and about 5mg iron. Layed back down and again felt really good. This time slept for another hour and a half.

Thus taking nothing other than minerals I was able to feel pretty normal. I have been taking B3 (not timed release) daily but I think I can assume methylation has been started and running on it's own? Causing a mineral depletion? (and a side of adrenal fatigue). That's the only thing that makes sense here, most likely a depletion of Mag and or Potassium?

sregan

Ok, today was near normal thank god! I had no problem getting up this morning. I left by my bedside the same things I took yesterday morning that helped me. I took them but didn't really need them like yesterday. I will stay this course and hope this emergency is over. Based on symptoms I have also decided my Pancreas is in need of some help. I took Pancreatin digestive enzymes with all food yesterday. I nibbled on one of my Mag-Glycinate tablets throughout the day and also had a scoop of fiber (Garden of Life, Super Seed: Beyond Fiber) trying to mop up what is happening in my gut and a single vitamin c tablet (500mg). Interesting that when I take a substantial amount of a binder I seem to go emotionally flat for a while. I'm also wondering if my gut has gotten so bad that I'm not absorbing many vitamins and esp. minerals from my food intake? I'm gonna have to do some more research and see if I can support the pancreas and get my bowels in better shape.

sregan

Not quite as good as yesterday but still better. I am wondering if I have developed exercise intolerance? I've been watching closely and my episodes may correlate with exercise. Yesterday went out on the kayak with my daughter, a bit of rowing, some higher heart rate, sweating and heavier breathing. I hope that's not it, wondering how that might have just decided to start if that is it?

Gonna move this to my blog at this point. Seems the place for it. Thanks everyone.

sregan

I have found that when I'm discouraged at my health situation,
and dealing with other stress, it alters my symptoms.
not to say that your situation is or may be because of your current stress level.
but trying to diminish it couldn't hurt.
much of what I do is geared toward reducing my own.

I agree completely here, I think it was even Freddd that thought that stress might be one of the factors able to turn on some of these genetic polymorphisms.

sregan

I have my pregnenolone cream right beside the bed and i slap it on and then lie in bed and wait for it to kick in, then when my cortisol has had a boost i waddle outside.

heapsreal What a good tip, I took one (pregnenolone sublingual) this morning and felt so much better. I didn't get a chance to take it before I got out of bed though. I will try that tomorrow. I did find a little magnesium glycinate taken when I got up @ 5am to use the bathroom helped my REM sleep quality considerably (returned to sleep) and I seem to have a greater need for magnesium lately.

I suspected my cortisol was low, that could be the cause of my rising inflammation, exercise intolerance and such and could be the reason (not a continuing methylation cycle after stopping supps) I have felt awful since stopping SMP supps. If SMP did anything to boost my thyroid then that will exhaust my adrenals fast!

Update: Later in the day and feeling very good. Mood has also been much much better. Hardly a hint of depression. What a turnabout due to about 5mg pregnenolone sublingual.

sregan

Update: Pregnenolone is helping me get up but the minerals is helping even more. That blah feeling in the morning that seems to develop in the last hour or two of sleep is mostly helped my the minerals. I can wake at 6 or 7am (and probably should just get up then) and feel pretty good. When I go back to sleep that's when I degrade, my mind gets in a bad way. That feeling of I just don't want to move until I feel better is helped by the minerals. The Pregnenolone helps my will to get up. That "ok now" feeling that gets me out of bed even if I don't feel like I want to. The minerals make me feel good and want to get up if that make sense to anyone.

Here's what I was taking for minerals that helped: http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Mineral-Balance-120-Capsules/247

I'm now taking minerals separately as I am not responding well to the Chromium or Vitamin D.

sregan

Update: I took some B2 and HCbl (after reading the B2 I Love You thread) and returned to a normal person. Recent Depression and GI symptoms ceased immediately to my utter amazement. Problems getting up in the Am completely disappeared. Taking the B2 alone did not help. I plan to keep taking Hcbl assuming I'm dealing with the methyl trap as I first assumed in late Jun.

sregan

Wanted to annotate here for anyone who might read this thread in the future. Been on regular B3 for a couple of weeks and symptoms are much better. I believe my methylation was still going quite strong and it needed to be slowed down. Was still dealing with hard to get up especially after exercise days. N-Acetyl Tyrosine is helping that, along with my brain fog, quite a bit.

Star-Anise

sregan
Hello girl! So glad to hear you are feeling better. Yes, N-Acetyl Tyrosine is amazing, and is helping me lately too due to my SAD :( that's starting to come out again with the shorter days. You may already be aware of these too but I make my own little concoction of Phenylalanine, Mucuna, Gingko Biloba & green tea to support the dopamine pathway. The last too apparently help the dopamine to be more active in the synapses longer (suppress COMT enzyme) like an SSRI for serotonin... anyhow that's my understanding, and it seems to be working :) The other thing I found helped with brain fog was Citrulline, but I found I only could tolerate small amounts at a time, and only needed it for about a month... :)
Read through your posts above, definitely sounds like you are onto something :)
Have a great day,

Star-Anise

sregan
BAHAHAHAHA! omg, that's so funny, let's call it female bias! I assumed it was you on the right :) A good belly laugh for me today. Thanks :)

Gestalt

I used to wake up in the morning feeling like I had been hit by a semi-truck.

2 x Yucca capsules before sleep completely fixed that

I can't say I wake up feeling energetic, but at least I'm not more exhausted than before sleeping.
I still don't know where all that ammonia is coming from however... bacteria? protein breakdown? fungi? I started exploring some ideas on my website here.

Also additionally 300mg of magnesium right before bed seems to have stopped my bruxism.