Phoenix Rising tells QMUL: release the PACE trial data
Mark Berry, Acting CEO of Phoenix Rising, presents the Board of Directors’ open letter to Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) urging them to release the PACE trial data, and hopes that other non-UK organisations will join British charities in the same request...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Half of all medical reporting, subject to spin.

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by taniaaust1, Dec 1, 2012.

1. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/09September/Pages/Half-of-all-medical-reporting-is-subject-to-spin.aspx

Enid, Merry and Simon like this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Thank you for this Tania. As Angela Kennedy points out in her book, (almost?) no psychopsychiatric research is or can be Gold Standard. How do you double blind an RCT like that? The researchers will know which is the control, and so will the patients. So the "Gold Standard" is really a "Lead Standard" and spin is used to promote it as gold.

3. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    Only half?

This is certainly not unique to medical reporting. As far as I'm concerned, the only reason to follow mainstream media reports on anything is to get a general idea of what the establishment propaganda machine is currently promoting. To understand what is really happening requires an understanding of history, careful followup, and analysis. Sometimes I can do that. Sometimes I can't.

Most folks don't have the time, inclination, and jaundiced eye required. It's not their fault. They're too exhausted from spinning that hamster wheel...

*GG* likes this.
  4. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    It really is looking like two layers of medicine happening now - those who quietly come into to research and aid those bent on personal glory regardless.

See more popular forum discussions.