1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Hair Mineral Testing

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by Dog Person, Mar 10, 2012.

1. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    brenda
    ooooh I don't like the high levels of arsenic!!!! glad your diet is working for you, have to say mine isn't really but hey maybe one day soon:)

I respect your opinion on DP and good that we can differ graciously:)
    brenda likes this.
  2. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    I wonder if her health has recovered to the degree that she said/thought that it had.
  3. kisekishiawase

kisekishiawase sad

southeast asia
    i just found out you have to tell your symtomps and condition. doesnt that mean they can 'analyze' u/make prediction even by only telling your symptoms. for ex: cramp, insomnia =mag deficient, etc.
    and it will match well with your condition.

anyway different sources make controversial insight about HTMA. but i already took the test. quite expensive too. im still quite unsure if its worth it though
  4. Little Bluestem

Midwest, USA
    Do you have some kind of healthcare practitioner to discuss the results with you? I found that the 'prefab' explanations that came with my results contained some incorrect assumptions.
  5. kisekishiawase

kisekishiawase sad

southeast asia
    could someone help/give me inputs about my tesult?
    the result showed very high potassium& high rubidium (this is so odd?!)
    a high sodium.
    -in range but sorta low: calcium+copper+selenium+barium.
    -in low range: cobalt+magnesium+iron+manganese+germanium+lithium+nickel+strontium.
    -extremely low molybdenum.
    -no zirconium, bismuth, tin, platinum, tungsten.
    -arsenic in range but slightly high. (dont know why? aside the possibility from food but it should be low i think)
    -mercury in range low.

what questioned me are:
    rubidium lowered potassium/compete with it so its really weird that both very high. :eek: usually high rubidium will cause symptoms as low potassium.
    rubidium also supposed to reduce thyroid hormone but it said i should have overactive thyroid hormone due to high sodium and potassium. o_O
    those are contradictive to each other.

also since potassium high aside from the possible causes which could be adrenal (or could it be other thing?) does it mean i have to avoid potassium food? which is hard.

the sodium is high and it said i should have hypertension but i have low BP instead?? although sodium increase cortisol too which isnt good for me and possibly my problem.
    what do you mean? the person who provides the test seem didnt really understand/know much and helping. only read from the result interpretation info given by the lab. which i also can read.
  6. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Have you had bloodtests to confirm the hair testing? Blood tests are the "gold" standard for measurement.

Hair is exposed to hair dyes, shampoo, environmental factors such as dust, smog, etc.

It's all so complicated, isn't it?

Good luck!

Barb
  7. kisekishiawase

kisekishiawase sad

southeast asia
    @barbc56 do you mean htma is not valid?
    i did the blood test which is serum but it cant measure intracellular. rbc ones are better but cant get the test yet. cant get other test to measure intracellular. also i read that the interpretation for blood and hair are different.
    anyway i dont dye my hair and use herbal shampoo although theres still some chemical i think. before shipping to trace element which claim doesnt wash the hair i wash my hair only with water.
    and i do know theres some controversy about htma some positive some negative. and it puts some doubts/confusion but since i already took it. i think i should give it a try.
  8. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

I may have misread your post. What I meant to say is if you don't think the hair testing makes sense from what you know about your health, you might want to get a blood test.

But it sounds like you have had the bloodtests?

I don't know about the other test.

Take care.
    Barb
  9. kisekishiawase

kisekishiawase sad

southeast asia
    @barbc56 there are some matter that i dont get about it. also when i read on the net there are different explanation/interpretation.
    thanks for replying though :)
  10. Little Bluestem

Midwest, USA
    In the discussion of the ratios that were off, the canned explanation in the report would assume that one mineral was low when in fact the other was high or vise-versa.

I was hoping that you had someone who actually knew about balancing minerals to help you as it is somewhat complex. I’m not real happy with the person I am working with, but she can do a little more than read the lab report to me.

See more popular forum discussions.